Tuesday, May 17, 2011

we have a problem, what do you suggest?

Hello,

Its good to be back :)

I did a lot of writing during my internship period (I guess my supervisor looked at my CV very well). I had to write recommendations to the General Manager based on what we did and encountered, on weekly basis.

My heart was telling me 'this is the most difficult part' and my mind was telling me 'finally someone is interested in listening to your ideas.' So from the first week where we did research, I had to observe everything and give feedback to the general manager. There was a lot to give, but at first I didn't have the confidence to tell the truth. I thought I was going there to learn not to teach but this has helped me a lot in transforming me into a better and confident public speaker through first hand encounter with stakeholders.

It has improved my thinking and writing skills and given me the courage to raise out necessary recommendations. It has helped me explore customer needs and better ways of handling them at the same time improving the business. I have learnt to be more professional using neutral and positive language and focus on the business.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is so true. During my internship, I was asked to write a lot as well and it did take me a while to learn how to write "properly".

As in, to use a neutral tone when writing and to also to choose my words carefully so that I do not create an inappropriate image for whatever it is that I'm writing about.

Yik Ming Wong said...

Hey Susan,

It seems like an Angel and Devil next to you at the same time, haha. Angel asked you to present and upsell yourself to the boss, but the devil asked you to skip. Fortunately you listened to the angel and took the responsibility; finally you improved your thinking and writing skills.

For myself, I am a Chinese and speak in Cantonese. Although I always come up with some good ideas, I cannot tell people by using English. So don’t be shy, use your professional communication skills as your benefit. Keep going!

Regards,
Yik Ming Wong

king said...

Hi, thats good looking at the fact that its not every manager who is willing to open up to a student to give him recommendation about their company because most of them tend to undermine us. I was also given a chance to compose media release and it motivated me.