Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What is more important to you?

What is more important to you, Money or Job Satisfaction? I have asked this question to almost everyone I’ve come across in the last 2 weeks, and I’m strangely surprised by the answers. I have been faced with this problem and I have been given advice from both sides and I still don’t know which to choose. Is having an amazing salary important or is it more important to be happy in the environment you work in and the people you work with? My question is why can’t we have both? Most people answer this with, “chill out your only 21.”

Now I have another question for everyone… Working In-house or for a consultancy? Again there are pros and cons to this, normally you will always get paid better In-house but you are far more constricted in your decision making. Consultancy’s deal with lots of different clients but you often end up giving away projects you have been working on night and day. The obvious answer to this is everyone needs to start somewhere.

I have been reading quotes all week on my pursuit for an answer to all my questions. I read a few which I would like share….

“You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great”
-Zig Ziglar

“The most important motive for work in school and in life is -pleasure in work, pleasure in its result, and the knowledge of the value of the result to the community.”
-Albert Einstein

“The most successful people are those who take pride in their work, pride in their family ... It is great to attain wealth, but money is really just one way – and hardly the best way – to keep score.”
-Kemmons Wilson

So I know these are kind of corny but I still like them! I have about 3 weeks to make up my mind so in my final blog I will have made my decision
, wish me luck!

5 comments:

SarahJane said...

Hi Sally

Good questions! Personally for me enjoying the work is more important than the money, even if you get paid well, there is only so long you can hold out. Staff need to be motivated in other ways than money, with good facilities, creative outlets and a friendly atmosphere, Richard Branson and Virgin as the token example. I did some work experience with RSPCA a few years ago and my manager worked harder than what she was getting paid for, but she loved it and that is what made my time there really enjoyable!

Now you may think I am contradicting myself now as I am going to pick in-house as my answer for questions two but not for the money reasons. Only because I feel I would be good in-house as I would know my companies product inside out and take the restrictions in place by that organisation as a challenge. I think in-house is a good place for graduates to start out and then move on to consultancy.

In said...

Hi Sally,

Ahh, you gotta love the age old question. Money or job satisfaction?

I would have to say that ideally, I would have chosen job satisfaction over money, hands down. However, in this highly competitive time where everything is down to money (bills, rent, petrol, etc), I guess if I were to be offered a job in an organisation where I don’t have much passion about and the pay is good, then I will most probably take the offer.

As much as I want to get out of this crazy rat race (uni, work, house, marriage, kids), I have to admit that it is hard to avoid what I would call as a vicious ‘commitment to the society’ (expectations of a graduate)

In terms of the ideal PR workplace, I would say that I would like to work in an organisation that I have a particular interest about (ie: film production house) instead of a consultancy. I know I would probably learn more due to the exposure of working in a consultancy, but I think I would prefer to stick to one organisation and focus on representing it as a whole rather than work on short/long term projects in consultancies.

Realistically though, once I graduate, I will apply for both consultancies and in house just to get started somewhere.

Cheers!

In

14237782

Alicia luct said...

For me I think both is important, money and enjoying your working enviroment. If you pay your employees well they will be happy and give back to you by working hard. I prefer in-house than working in a consultancy. I did my placement in a consultancy and I felt I wasnt doing anything. As interns we were given the minor work like media monitoring and because of this we were not learning anything challenging. So it would be better to start in an in-house than a consultncy

Madi James said...

Hi Sally!

Great questions...for me its job satisfaction...I simply couldnt turn up everyday and work somewhere I despised.

In fact I'm so sure that I am not ready to hit the workforce that on August 3rd I am flying away to go work in Canada on the ski resorts- So i cant really answer the second question...except today, and particularly in pr...the chances are that we will all change jobs and get the chance to do both at some point..but at this stage I am leaning towards in house.

Good luck everyone with the job hunting!

deleted blog said...

Hi Sally, Interesting question, honestly I will choose job satisfaction over money on any given day. But I was not satisfied with my public relations internship job at all, because it was a must for me to it in order to graduate but if tables were turned I would have not worked. But I strongly believe in loving what you despite the payment, plus they is a saying that says the love of money is the root of evil. so job satisfactions over money is the way to go.