Thursday, May 26, 2011

Working in Newsroom- A great Experience

Working with Journalist- A great experience
Being a journalist or having journalism experience, it would be a great advantage for those who want to join public relations industry. If he/she has journalism background, indeed he/she knows very well how to deal with journalists than others. In public relations, media relations is one of main important task. So, that's the reason why organizations hire journalist or former journalist for their public relation jobs.
Therefore, I am glad that I was doing my internship in a media company as well as got a chance to work in news room. During that period in Haveeru Media Group, I understood how other organizations working with news papers and how they influence to news paper in certain situation. During my internship, the main telecommunication company of Maldives, Dhiraagu pressured to Haveeru Daily to remove a news article from Haveeru Online. That the news was about that Dhiraagu stopped taking monthly service charge for services disconnection period. Before Dhiraagu implement that policy. Before Dhiraagu, Wataniya stopped taking monthly service charger for disconnection period.
Haveeru Daily republished the article with the changes that Dhiraagu wanted. Whatever the reasons behind that ethical dilemma of removing the article, I could say it was ethically wrong in public relations and journalism. So, why they did?
Dhiraagu is main advertiser of Haveeru Daily. Dhiraagu has been giving million of dollars to HMG as advertisement. However the main role of journalists and public relations officers is telling truth. According to scholars public relations professionals should know the values of the key publics.
Mutual relations with the journalist and public relations officers are very important but the relationship should be within the ethical boundary.
When, I was working in lnews room, I news how the journalist and public relations and marketing officers keep their relationship. I am sure it is very important to get news room experience before join public relations job.

No comments: