Last Friday, I went for a corporate volunteering program with United Way. It was a truly great experience. We were working with Chevron (one of our corporate partners) and Manna Inc. (one of our community partners). Manna Inc. is a charity organisations that feeds the homeless and poor in Perth. At the program, staff members from Chevron volunteer their time on their off day to help prepare, cook and pack meals to be distributed to the clients of Manna Inc. During the program Beth (founder of Manna Inc.) gave a speech about Manna Inc., how and what they do. It is shocking to learn the number of homeless people around us and also the number of children who do not have sufficient clothing and proper meals to go to school. Do you know that majority of the homeless people in Perth are white and mostly the males? Why is it so?
I have spoke to a few of them and found out that, it was actually their first time for most of them. I believe it is a good start for them and for Manna Inc.. Many of them expressed their interest in wanting to do it more often in a frequent basis and also on the weekends. It is really touching to hear that. I myself is a volunteer of several community group as I believe that everyone deserves an equal opportunity, whether you are fit and healthy or with few disabilities. Therefore, I love to volunteer and help the less fortunate, give them the chance they deserve and opportunity to live like us.
Also, at the volunteer program, I I met a few marketing and PR Professionals from the company and tried to build up my relationship and keep in contact with them. You never know, they might be the one getting me a job or even my employer in the near future.
I really look forward to meet more people and experience more with United Way!
Kevryn Lim
14552223
Bentley Campus
No comments:
Post a Comment