Hello all, this is my first venture into the world of blogging so please forgive me if my skills are a little rusty!
I guess things will become a lot easier if I begin with where I am undertaking my professional placement, and that wonderful place would be Kings Park. This is the point where everyone says "oh that must be such a beautiful place to work everyday" - and don't get me wrong, it certainly is! But I don't think people quite grasp the fact that I'm not out taking in the scenery and working amongst the gardens everyday... the hidden grey building on your right as you drive in on Frasers Avenue... thats me! I'm working with the Events team that comes under the Business and Visitor Services section of the Btanic Gardens and Parks Authority. For those of you who don't know, the Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority is a WA State Government Authority that manges Kings Park and also Bold Park in Floreat.
So actually beginning my placement has been the hardest thing so far! I had high hopes of getting onto things early and being organised during the mid-semester break... but oh how things did not go to plan. Apparently my body decided that was the prime time to get extremely sick and unfortunately I had to keep pushing my start time back, and further back, and back again! Luckily the Events team was extremely understanding and really kind about it so I knew I was heading into a great working environment. And I have indeed. In the area I am working in there is a Visitor Services Manager, an Events Coordinator (who I go to everyday for my daily duties), an Events Assistant (who is an ex-Curtin student in fact), and I also work with the Education Officer and the Business Development Manager. The whole office is massive though... but oddly quiet because the majority of staff are out within the park all day (like the Park Management Officers (PMOs) who do infringement work and deal with the public).
When beginning my placement, I won't lie, the best part was all the tours I got to go on! Kings Park is such a big place to wrap your head around because there is the State War Memorial, the Botanic Garden, the Lotterywest Federation Walkway, Lotterywest Family Area, Synergy Parkland and several gallerys as well as numerous tracks and wildflower walks... and thats only the beginning! I needed to see where all these places were so I knew what everyone was talking about when they mentioned the DNA Tower or the Pioneer Womens Memorial; hence all the tours. But what I loved was visiting all the places I hadn't been too since I was a child. Remember the playground surrounded by water that you used to have to cross a log of wood to get onto the island? Well it looks more fancier than that now, but still, I enjoyed remembering all the school excursions and family picnics that I once had at Kings park.
So there you have it, my first blog! Now that we're all up-to-date with where I'm undertaking my prac, next time I can delve into talking about the Kings Park Festival!
Until then...
Kate Brown
14290138
Bentley Campus
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://http://printernship-reflections2.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections.
No comments:
Post a Comment