Sunday, August 21, 2011

HyperFest Week 4

Hey everyone,

So last week was the daunting 'week before the event'. The focus of the week was about increasing ticket sales and preparing the essential 'bits and pieces' to ensure a smooth running event day - lots of admin work (but still an essential part of the experience).

With the Silent Disco this week, I was reviewing Silent Disco DJ applicants and working on the set design and decor of the stage. Even though the Silent Disco is a relatively small aspect of the festival, there is still so much to think about. Power supply, DJ equipment, the signage, lighting and many other factors all needed to be considered and included in the systems plan that I have developed. The systems plan is basically how every single aspect of the Silent Disco Stage is going to run and work on the day. From the entrance procedures and wristbands for the DJs to the type of lighting that should be hanging, have been considered in the plan for the Silent Disco. A systems plan is an essential document for any event manager to keep you guided and on track.

Last week I also gained an insight into the responsibility of a media liaison. I was involved in putting callouts to media outlets to register their interests in having a media team at HyperFest. This process has taught me the skill of appropriately contacting media and the way to structure a callout. I was also able to familiarise myself with some of the smaller, independent media outlets in Perth which is great for future networks.

Since the festival is less than a week away, the marketing efforts are starting to slow down and we are now focusing on using only the social media tools of Facebook and Twitter. At the moment we are pushing particular aspects of the festival such as ticket sales and competitions on the day. Therefore, this week was focused on the administration of the event; putting together the accreditation for the festival (this is types of passes, i.e artist passes, security passes, etc), food and drink vouchers (for staff and volunteers), ticket allocations to local community groups & schools, and preparing the riders for the bands (which is quite an interesting job).

I'll be sure to update you all on the madness this week (being the week OF the festival) and the event day itself. I'm finding myself getting really excited for the event and hope it's a success all round because I have now experienced all the 'behind-the-scenes' work that is involved in the preparation of HyperFest.

REMEMBER, anyone that is interested.... you can find out more info on the event (as well as how to buy a ticket) at www.hyperfest.com.au/Home.


Hayley Sutton
14266799

No comments: