Hi all,
Starting a bit late I know, but after my first 7 days of working as part of LastSay Communications I have plenty to fill you in on. LastSay Communications is a PR firm in Leederville with over 30 clients including Rio Tinto, Alcoa Australia, Chamber of Minerals and Energy and Cameco Australia. As you can tell, their cliental are mostly resource based, but they also have other clients such as Sids and Kids and the Luke Adams Foundation.
My first day at LastSay was hugely nerve-racking. I’d been to a brief meeting at the offices a week before and everything was so professional and way out of league to anything I’d ever been involved with before. My boss Sally is incredibly friendly but you can’t help but feel intimidated around the highly successful author, mother, director, state hockey champion and manager of 2 businesses.
The team at LastSay is made of 4 girls and 2 boys, including West Coast Eagle’s Will Schofield, and were all incredibly friendly and welcoming during my first week. The atmosphere around the office is very light-hearted, with gossip and coffee breaks galore!
I would have to say that my first day at LastSay has been my favourite so far. After being seated at my own desk, I was quickly asked to write up a media release for MetroChurch. Having not written a media release since first year PR, I have to admit I thanked the lucky stars that I had brought along my notes from PR techniques. After having written the release I sent it off and was then whisked into a meeting which my boss kindly allowed me to tag along to. The meeting was with a company called ATI, a resource company. The meeting was hugely insightful and I actually found it a little amusing because the CEO was everything we’ve been warned about. He was very one minded and had a ‘no company does what we do’ attitude. The way my boss handled the situation was almost inspiring. She was so professional and managed to twist this guy’s words with hardly any effort.
Another highlight from my first week was going on a tour of the West Australian with editor Chris Manly. I was introduced to all the journalists and managed to collect enough cards to make my sad contact portfolio a little more exciting. Chris was kind enough to shout everyone a coffee and sit down with me about my studies and where I want to go to from here. I was so surprised by the West offices, I never realised how incredibly huge they were! This day was definitely a highlight from my three years of studying, it gave me even more of a drive to work with the media.
The rest of my week consisted of more media release writing and more meetings with clients. LastSay is holding an event in November for their clients which I’ve been helping them organise. I’ve also been appointed to work with a client called Women In Mining. Along with a colleague, I’ve been working on creating media hype for their one-day seminar next week. I’ve written several media releases and spent most of my days tracking down people for interviews. It’s actually been really great working on this; the relationship you create with your client in such a short time is remarkable. At the end of the week it was time to send off our releases to the media. I was so nervous about doing this, but after making my first call to The Sunday Times and hearing that they would love to write a story based on my release, I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face.
I also got the opportunity to have a chat to Michael Lloyd, one of Australia’s biggest event organisers. It still seems so strange to me that these people, who are so busy, have the time to talk to me.
I’ve been kept super busy throughout my first 7 days, constantly organising meetings for my boss and keeping in contact with her clients. I’m still trying to get used to receiving 30 plus emails a day concerning meetings with ministers and interviews with business people. It’s all been very full-on, but exciting, and I can’t wait to see what I’ll be up to next week. I’ve started to hugely appreciate this unit and the experience it allows us students to get a taste of the real world. I’m especially looking forward to next Friday where I’ll be attending the Women In Mining Seminar and meeting all the women that I’ve spent all week interviewing.
3 comments:
(Sorry I'm posting this a little late, I actually wrote it last week but i think i submitted it wrong because it disappeared somewhere)
Hi Laura,
Your placement really seems like an amazing experience. Only a week in and you've already been a part of so many "PR" activities. You seem to be really enjoying yourself, which according to me is the most important accomplishments.
Writing a media release is one thing I never got a chance to do during my placement, which makes me very jealous of everyone that does get that opportunity during their placement! You were lucky enough to do one on your first day. I haven't written a media release since first year PR either and would have definitely need my notes too.
Making a handful of contacts in the first week is amazing. I think one of the most important thing that comes out of this unit is the contacts you make throughout the placement. I agree with you this unit really allows us to experience the "real world" and put everything we've learnt into practice.
Your blog was really interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Good luck for the following weeks and I'm sure you'll learn a lot through your placement.
Srinali
Hi Laura,
Being thrown in the deep end writing media releases is a tad intimidating on your first day, exactly the same thing happened to me! But I also think this gives you a little bit of confidence and you can get some of the scary stuff over and done with straight away!
It's interesting you are working with Women in Mining, one of the clients I work for is Archae-aus, and owner/manager Fiona Hook (who is in the Finals for Telstra Business Woman of the Year) is quite involved in this, wondering if you have met her? Such an inspiring lady!
Also quite jealous of the range of media contacts you racked up on your first day, very good opportunity! Sounds like you have a fantastic placement, all the best with it! :)
Post a Comment