Monday, September 26, 2011

HWE Mining - Dig This

So wish I could say this was my final blog however, its not. My placement has open my eyes to the world of internal communications. Working within the Mining industry is rather interesting with lots of different procedures and methods for internal communication initiatives. Since I last posted in say week 4 I have ventured on to new and exciting projects for HWE Mining which include:

Radio advertisements: I got to assist the team and attend meetings in order to get their new radio advertisements up and going. These advertisements are aimed an placed on regional radio stations targeting specific workers across Australia. The best part of assisting in this project was going across to the the the external radio company where I got to see how the radio advertisement was put together including the editing and final version.

Business cards: Another project I got to organise was putting together business cards for potential new employees, these will be handed out to potential new employees when the communications team goes across to Victoria, aimed at targeting Victorians and HWE Minings new route from Victoria to the Pilbara. Unfortunately I didn't get to go..... :(

Along side these projects I have put together a Communications plan for a site changing from a 2 and 1 roster to an 8 and 6 roster. The Communications plan included objectives, key stakeholders, affected employees, personalised messages and tactics of communicating. Learning the process was very interesting, although this sounds similar to projects we've done throughout our degrees it was very different as it was based on actual facts, and liaising with the Human Resources team with several meetings.

Other than that it has been the usual data entry as well as newsletters and assisting the other Communications officer in the service awards which has required me to write stories on staff who have competed 10 years or more with the company. It was hard to write stories as the style I was required to write was a jovial and was hard for me to write as I didn't know the person at all but I overcame this and it worked out well.

Hope you enjoy, i'll be cramming a further two more posts in the next two weeks to make up for me being slack this semester....

Stefan - 14264120

1 comment:

Victoria said...

HI Stefan,

WOW, sounds like you've had it busy at your pleacement!!
It's great to hear that you're being given the opportunity to assist in so many different projects - it must really be making all the theory you studied worthwhile!

Being able to see the inner workings of a mining company would definitely be an interesting experience, as I'm sure PR would play pivotal role in the organisation.

All the best for the rest of your placement!

Victoria