Thursday, September 1, 2011

A little late...But here's my first Blog!!

Hey everyone, I’m Srinali and here I present to you my first blog.

I did my internship earlier this year but only just got to starting my blogs. I know, I know, I should have started earlier but I guess better late than never!! Through these blogs I’m hoping to give you all an insight into my experiences and hope to receive some feedback for all of you.

So I did my placement in India at Prime Focus, which is a global visual entertainment services group. This basically means that they provide an end-to-end service within the entertainment industry, which includes visual effects, video and audio post-production, digital content management and distribution, creative 3D conversion, Digital Intermediate, versioning and adaptation, and equipment rental. So from pre-production to final delivery of movies, commercials, TV shows and any other forms of broadcasting is done at Prime Focus. Pretty intense, right? I didn’t understand anything at the beginning and it took me a while to get my head around it all. The first couple of days were spent just reading about the organisation. I came across many interesting things, but there were times when I did get quite bored. Nevertheless, I think all the reading paid off when I started doing ‘real’ PR work for the organisation.

I spent a month in Mumbai in India, the entertainment hub of India. I’ve always wanted to work in entertainment and this was the perfect opportunity for me to experience it and start networking. I was based at the global headquarters of Prime Focus, which meant many major decisions were made there. At the same time though, I noticed how a lot of collaboration took place amongst the different offices around the world to ensure work was completed in a manner to suit each geographic region. Cultural differences are something we’ve learnt about during the course and I got to experience this throughout my internship. Though the working environment was very professional and I guess I could call it ‘westernised’ at Prime Focus, there were things that really stood out to be different culturally. For example, you’d expect that there would be a high level of power distance in India, but Prime Focus was very laid back with open work spaces and low power distance. However, the time orientation in India is very different to here is here in Australia. 10am could mean anything up to 11am or even 12 noon. I would get to work at 10am very morning (because that’s the time I was told to start), however I would be the only one at the office that early and others would be there closer to 11am. I've added a picture of the office above!!

Well I guess that’s it for my first blog. I’ll be writing more about the work I did in future blogs. Now that the introduction part is done, I will try and make my next blog less dry and write more about the work I did J

I’m glad to read about everyone else’s placements through the blogs.


Goodluck everyone J.


Srinali Kinariwala

14292794



4 comments:

hidy wong said...

It's not late, I just upload my second blog because I have not time to upload it. Don't worry. I think your placeent is very interesting and funny compare to writing media release because its about pre-production to final delivery of movies, commercials, TV shows. When you work, you can watch some movies too.Its a great opportunity to gain experience.

Kate Caine said...

Hi Srinali - your placement sounds truly amazing and unqiue. Doing it in a different country has definitely set you apart from everyone else in this group currently undertaking their internships. I especially like that part where you talk about your start times for work each morning - I'm fairly certain a load of people are jealous of you already! haha

Also, your office space looks so cool and laid back - which I'm sure its highly conducive to making people want to go to work in the morning!

Kate Millar said...

Hey Srinali,
I remember you telling us about your placement in the latest seminar we had. It sounded very interesting. Your post was very fun to read aswell. I'm a film student so it all sounds very fun and exciting to me and how lucky getting to do it all in India! Well hope you had a lot of fun and as the other Kate said, the office space looks really cool. Thanks for including a picture.

A girl just like you said...

Hi All,

Thank you for the replies. It truly makes writing the post worth the effort. Doing my placement in India was an absolutely amazing experience. Hidy, unfortunately I didn't get to watch any movies while working, though employees do get tickets to movie premiers often.

The start times were definitely a positive, though i did end up finishing fairly late and I also worked Saturdays. To top it all off, off-peak traffic in Mumbai equals peak hour traffic in Perth. So you can only imagine the peak hour traffic in Mumbai that was part of my daily travel.

Srinali