Thursday, October 6, 2011

Designer Capsules 1 & 3, Story by Tang and Wheels PFF Shows


Designer Capsule 1, which took place on September 22nd at this year's Fashion Paramount (held at the WA Museum) involved a lot of production work. Little Gracie, Lisa Marjanovich and Paper Skye were the three designers showcasing their collections in Capsule 1 and Grant had designed the runway space to be decked out in hundreds and hundreds of flowers.

Sourcing the fake flowers and plants for the show had been Lucy's task in the lead up to PFF but it took all three of us plus some PFF volunteers to physically put the concept together. We spent all day at Paramount unpacking the flowers whilst pretending we were florists when arranging them as creatively as we could in flower pots, man-handling the cherry blossom trees and securing them in their pots that we filled with white pebbles to enhance their realistic look. The preparation for the Capsule 1 show was pretty hectic as it was the first main show at Paramount and hair and make-up and model dress fittings and rehearsals were also taking place at the same time.. so we got a very authentic feel for a fashion show which was fantastic experience.. it really was all systems go!

Once the flowers in the pots were finished, we then had to place over 100 hanging flowers in their spots ready to be attached from the bannister/railings on the second floor of Paramount. This was another huge task as the fear of the flowers coming unstuck and landing on a guest's head was a nightmare of all of ours!

We were at Paramount until about 5pm and were needed back by about 6 so a very quick journey home and then we were back to set up for the real thing. There was a show right before Capsule 1 which didn't need the flowers so we had to put it all together once that show had finished which was a bit of a race against time! 5 huge rolls of tape were used to secure the flowers in their place.. they were not coming unstuck!

By the time we finished finalising the runway it was about time for the show to start. It was really fun being able to sit in the crowd and watch the show for free.. second row as well!

It was such an awesome day being so hands-on with the production of the show and running around and then seeing the finished product, which was BEAUTIFUL!

As the media and guests were arriving we could over hear people commenting on how pretty the venue looked which was so lovely.

Watching the show I really felt apart of the whole production, which was a really cool feeling and something I hope I can do again one day. Working backstage at a fashion show has always been something I've wanted to be involved in so it was a great accomplishment. I had also helped select the music for the Lisa Marjanovich show and when I heard some of the songs I had chosen being played that was also pretty awesome.

I also got a glimpse of Mel B from the Spice Girls who was a VIP guest at the show which was secretly AMAZING as I was the biggest Spice Girls fan when I was younger so that was very cool as well.

The next day Liv and I helped Grant pack up the flowers and return them to the shop. That night we were able to just enjoy the show. Second row seats again which was great. The Story by Tang collection was stunning.. so glad I got to see it!

Designer Capsule 3 (Zhivago, Zsadar, One Fell Swoop and Ange Lang) and Wheels and Dollbaby were the remaining shows that Muse were involved in. There wasn't much prep needed for Capsule 3 and the capacity for Wheels (held at His Majesty's Theatre) was bursting at the seams so we weren't really needed.

All in all, PFF was a CRAZY busy week but loads of fun. It was really cool seeing how all our hard work in the lead up to the festival turned out. It was my first time involved with the festival and I'm so pleased I was able to have such a hands-on approach and really get involved in the 'nitty gritty' of the production.

Although this side of my placement wasn’t PR based, it was certainly closely linked with event planning/management which was something I had never had experience in so it was a really great opportunity to be involved in another aspect of the industry. PFF is definitely something I will remember forever! (As cliche as that sounds.. it is 100% true.)

Looks like my placement is coming to a sad end.. will let you know how my last week is!

Soph








No comments: