Hey fellow PR students,
So I'm writing my last blog, sitting at my desk at my internship! Alot has happened. I found myself in a very stressful situation today involving a fellow colleague. I'll start at the beginning...
So at Strike A Chord they have a "Community Relations Officer" and the other day I had a "brainstorming session" with her regarding future plans for Strike A Chord. It was basically me sharing ideas that I had been compiling from the very first day at the company. I took it away and formatted it into to a PR plan.... you know the headings.... Community Relations Strategy, Media Strategy, Sponsorship Strategy, Employee Relation Strategy.... I put so much effort into it and included so much extra information. There were however blank spaces and heaps of room for improvement, but the basis was there.
Sooo I sent her the work that I had done and also sent it to the manager, who is the person that I am initially assigned to, so he could see what work I was contributing and mark me on it. I got great reviews, he was really impressed.... but she didn't seem too impressed. I mean, she liked the work but didn't like the fact I took ownership over it and sent it to the "boss".
She came into my office and made it clear that I was working "under" her and that before sending anything to anyone I had to get permission, she said I was "undermining her". I understood what she was saying, but the work I sent was mine and from the beginning I had made it a goal to produce a PR plan (which I had discussed with the manager) by the end of my internship.
So I was basically stepping on her toes.... I was, without knowing, making her insecure in the job she was doing. I have so much more knowledge regarding PR then she has and it is intimidating the hell out of her. The manager isn't in this week but next week I will have a word with him, regarding whether I should go on assisting her or go ahead and produce the PR Plan I had always set out to do by myself. I totally understand where she is coming from though... By doing this PR Plan I'm doing her whole job for her. Which she seems to love ... but only if no one else knows that I'm doing it!!!!
This has been the most frustrating thing that has happened. When we were having this "discussion" she kept referring to me as the "intern" and that this is her "real-life job." Putting me down much? I don't blame her though, I would be feeling insecure if I was her.
Has anyone else had this kind of trouble?
I feel like I don't want to help anymore because I am scared I wont get any credit for it.
Should I complete the PR Plan and hand it over to her.... or finish it then hand it over to the manager?
HELP!
3 comments:
Oh no! What a tricky situation to be in! Who do you work more closely with? Without knowing too much about it, my advice would be to complete the pr plan and hand it to your boss.. if you think they aren't going to mind that you have 'undermined' the instructions of the other lady. I guess it's a matter of being diplomatic and at this stage in your placement.. trying not to step on the wrong person's toes! Is your boss fairly understanding? Would you be able to explain the situation to them once they get back from leave? What do you think?
Hi Nazreen,
I strongly believe that she should not treat you as such, although you are an intern. Though, to solve your problem you should act as Sophie told you. Finish the plan and send it to the boss as initially it is the boss who employed you not that lady. You are working for your internship and including this PR plan in your report is an utmost. For sure, she’ll be angry cause you are doing her work, but you are on trial it is not as if you are taking her place.
For now, wait for your boss return to have a clearer view upon the situation.
In fact, see this situation as an experience and now that we are entering the professional world of work, life will be harsh and there will be a lot who will step on your toe. I am sure that the situation will be clarified soon. Simply be professional and stay cool as we are all learning for to be better later on.
Good luck,
Annabel Ravaton
CTI
Oh wow, what a terrible situation to be in! Unfortunately, I can't say it isn't common. You'll be finding yourself in similar situations once you're in the actual job market. But back to the issue at hand. As easy as it would be to go straight to your manager, you won't be doing yourself any favours in the long-run. After all, even though you'd have left, she'll still be there and you'll have no way of knowing what she says to the manager regarding your performance. Also, when you eventually want to get a job, a potential employer might just call her up as a reference and again, you'll have no control over what she might say. I know I'm throwing a lot of 'might' and 'may' happen but it's always good to consider the possibilities when making decisions on how to act. A good way to look at this is from a PR perspective, where relationships form the basis of this field. Try have a calm and open dialogue with her about how you had absolutely no intention of undermining her or overshadowing her, as it were. That you just wanted the experience of those more seasoned to look over and critic your work (flattery gets you everywhere!). If possible, ask for her input and engage her to be part of the plan, since you mentioned it wasn't complete yet. You don't necessarily have to include her opinions, it's just for the purposes of making her feel like her contributions matter. In a case like this, balance is key. By somewhat working together, it shows a good teamwork dynamic.
Post a Comment