Thursday, January 12, 2012

A good start

Hi all,

The blog will begin with a quick narration and background of my placement endeavors. When I was researching organisations in which I might complete my public relations practical internship, I focused on organisations that organise and protect animals and natural creatures, as I am interested in nature, environment and wildlife. So it was only natural that I approached an organisation that helps and protects animals for work experience and to undertake professional PR experience in the field. I contacted some organisations which are involved with animal protection. After a couple of weeks waiting I finally received acceptance from Kanyana Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre.

When I first came to Kanyana, Jen, the General Manager, gave me an introduction to her business ideas, her marketing promotion plans, and which part of the work I should focus on while she showed me around in Kanyana, and at the same time, I was introduced to other staff and volunteers. After our initial talk, I promised that I would think about her business plans, and come back to her with what I could do for the organisation.

The following practical day, I showed her a list of my five detailed plans I had prepared to meet her business ideas, and she was very interested in the fourth one, however, both of us were unsure if the business ideas we had discussed for the organisation were able to specifically meet to the PR practical unit’s requirements.

Kanyana doesn’t have a PR team, so the only thing I can do is taking initiative myself and completing the whole project on my own with input from their management. I feel very excited and confident to do it, as I am able to put the professional PR knowledge that I have been learning on campus into practice in the ‘real world’. In order to make sure what I am going to do is on the right track in meeting my PR directives of the placement, I emailed Kantharina Wolf. While I was awaiting her response, I read all relevant documents and detailed information about Kanyana, and also finished writing up Kanyana’s background for my report.

Jen also arranged the desk and computer for me in the office, so until now, it is a good start already. Hope I will receive the response from Kantharina as early as possible, so I am able to proceed with the project.

No comments: