Hi all!
Just a quick introduction, my name is Jeacinta Martino and I'm in my final semester of a PR and Marketing degree. I'm completing my work experience placement at Devahasdin, a West Perth PR consultancy.
Ok so now to get into it. I've been so jam packed crazy I haven't really had time to start my blog entries. I am just a little under half way through my internship and I am loving every moment of it. It really is a great feeling to be in the real world of PR and realising what you learnt is so relevant to what you are doing.
So far my tasks have included lots of databases, lots of researching, lots of phone calls and lots of running around! Basically I'm diving head first into whatever they want and need me to do and loving every minute of it! I am learning that you can never have too many contacts or too much research when working toward putting an event or product or client out there. We all learn that networking is one of the most valuable tools in Public Relations but you don't realise how much goes into getting the right and most relevant contacts depending on what you're doing.
I've also been doing bits and bobs for certain tenders they have at the moment. I am LOVING seeing the process they go through as well when working with their clients. You put together one proposal, meet with the client, get their notes, add yours, go back to the drawing board with their considerations in mind and then back you go again until every objective is met.
Finally, I am becoming quite the confident and professional telephone answering and communicating person! It truly is an important art form as you spend A LOT of your time calling and answering the phone and the way you answer it or speak through it says a lot about yourself and the company you are representing to the person on the other end.
Well for now thats me!
I'll keep you posted on the happenings of this little intern...
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://http://printernship-reflections2.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections.
Sunday, March 11, 2012
Databases, research, phone calls...OH MY! Loving the life of a PR intern
Labels:
consultancy,
databases,
PR Internship,
Public Relations
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It's great that you are able to see the tender (tendership?) process and I can see why you find it exciting! This is one of the things we don't get to experience in our course of study, i.e. we just present, write our plan and get some feedback. I've not (and probably won't) see that happening because I'm doing an in-house placement, but I've been able to see the process of sponsorship proposal and approvals from businesses and the government. It is really an eye opener, and so different and more difficult from what we learn in theory.
Danielle Han
15010353
(My posts: http://pr393reflectiveblog.blogspot.com.au/search/label/15010353)
Hi Jeacinta,
I feel like i have had very similar experiences within the first few days of my internship. i was given my first database to edit, formatt and update and it was the "Master Database" meaning it has every contact my PR agency has across the country and all media platforms. It was such a great learning process going through the rather HUGE database as i got to basically see every media (press, boradcast, online) my agency interacts with. I felt like i learnt alot in regards to being able to identify key media in relation to my agencys industry. Since doing my first database i have completed a few more smaller more specific databases and have had to find the media contacts and compile them myself. The database is the first place anyone at our agency goes when they need a media contact, so although it seemed like i was being given a rather menial task that didnt really contribute alot in the whole grand scheme of things i have realised this is in fact probably one of the most important tools an agency has.
It was of upmost importance that every contacts details were spot on, with current emails, phone numbers and if i could manage to get them direct emails/ph # for editors and journalists! i feel like my confidence and phone manner has improved greatly since completing this task.
Goodluck for the rest of your placements and all the database updating you will be doing in the future!
Tess Stillwell
14276060
Post a Comment