Greetings everyone,
It's been a good two weeks since I've started my work placement at Go Go Retro Vintage & Vinyl Events, and I must say it's been quite a ride. Who would have known that Public Relations comprises of a little of everything. Publicity, marketing, and even advertising (although I recall in one of the tutorials, we were told it's not the case). Or maybe it's the area I've chose to go into - events.
Before I go further, let me explain what we do. It's an events company, dealing mainly with retro roadshows around Perth, and is slowly expanding to the eastern states.
So, on my first week, I was given a briefing on what my tasks were: writing media release, researching on the appropriate media channels, editing newsletter for the stallholders, and improving the event's social media presence. "Doesn't sound like too much to do", I thought to myself. But boy was I wrong. The amount of time spent on editing, is enough to make me panic. I remember during PR techniques, we had to write so many media releases, we never saw the point why. And my tutor would say: "When you get out there, you'll realise this is not enough practice". Now I understand why. I drafted out my first media release, and feeling so sure about my work, I sent it to my supervisor. No, I didn't get negative comments about it, but he did request for certain changes to be made. For example, I've always thought about it as an inverted pyramid, with the most important details stated at the beginning of the media release. But my supervisor advised me that anything related to money (such as ticket prices), should be left till the end so that people don't get turned off by it from the start. Well, that makes sense.
Second week, we got into other areas, mainly dealing with the media side of things. I had to get film and television students to help out with the filming at the actual event, look for models for an upcoming promotional photo shoot, as well as photographers.
I've really been enjoying myself throughout. And the fact that my supervisor is giving me the opportunity to take charge of the media area, due to my film and television background, is definitely a bonus. Sure am looking forward to the actual event! x
Wee Ee
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://http://printernship-reflections2.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections.
3 comments:
This sounds like such an exciting opportunity! I also experienced a similar situation within my internship this week regarding drafting and being open towards constructive feedback. Best of luck for the weeks to come and with the event!
Helen :)
Hey Wee Ee!
I get what you mean about having to do a little bit of everything in PR. So far I'm really happy I put myself through a bit of everything – all those technical design and layout classes, photography and editing courses, and the tedious process of churning out interviews and articles in journalism class – because I'm able to show my supervisor how versatile I can be! And you seem to be doing that with your film and television knowledge and network too! I'd like to think we are saving our organisations valuable resources (time and money) by having a diverse range of skills.
I hope your internship continues to be as smooth sailing as well as challenging (in a good way of course!).
Danielle Han
My posts: http://pr393reflectiveblog.blogspot.com.au/search/label/15010353
Hi Helen, it is different getting feedbacks from our supervisors as compared to tutors isn't it? But definitely a great experience to learn from. Thanks and good luck to you as well! x
Hi Danielle, glad I'm not alone! ;) I'm sure you've impressed your supervisor with your versatility. I sure am looking forward to the challenges (if any). Would be a great chance to gain invaluable experience! x
Wee Ee
Post a Comment