Name: Onalenna Kgositau
Campus: LUCT
Hello Everyone
I
did my internship for eight weeks, from 5th December 2011 till 27th
January 2012 at Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union, ABU. I would say looking for an
internship is no bed of roses and what frustrate the most is one is likely to
get no response from the organizations applied to and some reply very late. This
what I went through when I was looking for a placement and as an international
student I must admit it was difficult because most of the organizations were
looking for local interns. However God was by my side and I got accepted at
ABU.
ABU is a non-profit, professional broadcasting organization and it
was formed in 1964.ABU aims to develop broadcasting industry in the
Asia-Pacific region and it organises cooperative events
amongst its members to achieve its aim.
Adapting to a new environment is
always a big challenge, more especially a working environment, where things are
done accordingly, with much attention, caution, being under supervision and also
being around new faces. Most people often feel slightly uncomfortable and shy and I think that is how it is with
most people.
During my first
week at ABU I was more reserved and a bit shy than normally I am, everything
was unclear to me did not know exactly what my duties were to be since I was
not placed in a PR department but rather in Programme department the reason
being ABU does not have a PR department, so I was clueless what Programme
department deals with.
However through my colleagues’ warm welcome
in the Programme department I was able to learn quickly and know how things
were done within our department. The 2nd week I was familiar with
almost everything within our department, since in ABU Programme department runs
more like a Public Relations department, so I started putting into practice Public Relations principles and
applications I have learned from the previous semesters. I started to enjoy each little minute there, I felt more welcomed and this motivated me to
perform my best.
Thank your for
reading, until my next post. Stay blessed.
6 comments:
Shames i feel but happy you ended up finding the right place for placement, hope you enjoyed
You have the capacity for adaptation and you have carriage
sounds like an interesting work place. You must have really enjoyed your stay there!
I don't know how i missed this post Ona, your placement sure sounds like it was all that and its a great thing that you got the opportunity to do actual PR work of the things you learned in your past modules.
Post a Comment