Hi everyone!
I’m so excited about finally being
able to blog about my placement. There were several things that got in the way
of me starting my placement earlier, but I’ve finally started and it feels
great.
I am doing my placement at the
Global Good Foundation (GGF). The GGF is committed to helping those impacted by
domestic violence by encouraging and empowering them to speak out about a topic that is not
commonly addressed, as well as stopping the cycle of domestic violence. They’ve
grown tremendously in such a short time. One of their campaigns, the Minute of
Noise campaign, has already been brought overseas!
The week before I started my
internship, the founder and the General Manager (my supervisor) of GGF were
featured in the Weekend West. This meant that I started my internship in the
midst of heaps of enquiries and opportunities flowing in! It was definitely a
great way to experience the awareness and response that positive media
relations can generate.
The GGF was also recently granted
some, well, grants, so they now have the resources to carry out their programs
in quite a number of schools. Hence, I was tasked with creating an information
kit for the schools and their students’ parents. We’ve always learnt about
identifying different stakeholders and using different language and tone to
best drive the organisation’s messages across to each target group. Working on
these kits made me realise how difficult this can be, especially when you are
trying to convey messages about domestic violence in a delicate and
non-confrontational manner. My work was edited quite a bit, but I was reassured I would
be able to grasp the right and sensitive language and tone used in dealing with the issue in
time.
I was also given the chance to
look at how applications for grants and funding are written. Again, a totally
different tone (more formal) was used in this document because it targeted
another stakeholder (e.g. the government).
I’d love to hear if those working
in consultancies also have to juggle different writing styles for various
clients. I’ve always loved to write, but my first task has already proven
itself a challenge! I can only be thankful that I have a good foundation in
English, and will remember to stress to others that it is such an important skill (I’m sure your lecturers and tutors have
told you this countless times! Well…believe it if you haven’t! Haha).
I am very honoured and privileged
to be working with and for some very successful, dedicated, and inspirational
people. I know it’s early, but I already know this will not be just another PR
internship, but one that would make a real positive difference in the
community.
Till my next update!
Danielle Han
Bentley Campus
Interning at the Global Good Foundation
Bentley Campus
Interning at the Global Good Foundation
4 comments:
Hi Danielle,
It's really nice seeing that you're really positive and enthusiastic about your work placement. And the fact that it's for an extremely good cause.
I've helped out in a charity organisation before and I totally understand what you meant when you said that the phrasing and using of words are really important. Especially when it's regarding such a sensitive issue. Did you have any difficulties writing the media releases? Since that was the one thing that it's importance was stressed upon us from the start.
Of course, I totally agree when you said a good English foundation is a good skill. It's a good start as well. I'm definitely looking forward to your next update and also in what ways we can help in contributing to the cause. Would be great if this cause will be able to go global. Good luck and make the most out of this wonderful experience! x
Wee Ee
The Global Good Foundation sounds like such a good cause, you will definitely gain really good experience with this internship placement. Good luck with all your writing tasks, i'm sure practice will make perfect!
Wee Ee: I have not been asked to write media releases yet. At the moment they're getting a lot of coverage and they're barely able to keep up with the increase in requests for this and that, but hopefully I'll get a shot at writing one some time during my placement. Thanks for your encouragement! :)
Pia: Yes it's such a great cause and I'm starting to see how my placement there plays a part in changing so many people's lives. Thanks for your lovely comment!
Post a Comment