Thursday, May 24, 2012

From Boss to Hero

That's right!

I am going to share with you such an inspirational story about the Director of The Archive. I was assigned to slot in this seminar into the busy schedule of Nik Mustaza Nik Mustapha (Taja). He is one of the directors in The Archive and a respected musician in Malaysia. The youth really look up to him for his ability to strive through all the hardship when he first started making music.

Management & Science University (MSU) in Shah Alam has invited Taja to give a talk in a seminar called 'From Zero to Hero'. It was held on May 8, 2012 at 9am. Although my placement period is completed, this is considered as my last agenda in The Archive because I was in charged to be the liaison between Taja and the university, and it was indeed an amazing experience for me.


Taja was a bit nervous at first but after a while on stage, he started opening up about how he started by sending demo tapes to recording companies and were rejected, until he promised himself that he is going to try again by entering a Demo Battle held by a local music magazine, R.O.T.T.W (Rhythm of the Third World) and the band, Meet Uncle Hussain was chosen as the champion for the uniqueness in songwriting and music arrangement produced by such a raw talent. That was the starting point of his life together with his band members whose lives are changed after they were discovered and recognized as one of the most promising bands in Malaysia.

What I can conclude from his amazing story is that he really believes in hard work. He cannot be more proud to say that he started from scratch, from just jamming with close friends, no fancy studio, no record deal, performing at free shows and gigs to winning awards, owning a company with his manager, Nafisah who is now his wife, producing one masterpiece after another and just soaring to new heights and bigger achievements. I am so moved by his story and driven to strive towards my best personal capabilities. (Because I know I can never beat him at playing the guitar and writing awesome songs!)

 Taja played an acoustic set for the audience.

Now that he is in his zone with the guitar, there's no stopping it. I am so happy and honored to be part of such a great team of creative and kind-hearted people.

All the best fellow interns! You have learned things you can never get out of the textbooks, so give yourself a pat on the back and good luck with your exams! Cheers!

No comments: