Monday, May 21, 2012

Go Go Retro Vintage and Vinyl Roadshow (South Perth)

For the third time, hello everyone!

I know it’s the final week and everyone’s busy working on their reports and all, but if you’re taking time to read this, thank you!

So, I talked about the pre-event the last time. Now for the event itself. We had to get to the event venue bright and early at 8am on a Sunday to get things started. The stall holders are already there setting up their stalls and we had to allocate the slots for them, brief the photographers on what sort of pictures we would like to see, and taking up different roles for the day. 10am and there was already a queue outside the doors. The crowd came in a consistent flow and one of my tasks was to make sure everyone paid for their entry tickets, get a stamp on their hands, and fill in the survey forms (meant for great use later on).

My colleagues and I took turns to fill in different roles. Another one of it was to ensure that no one leaves the premise without paying for his or her “purchases”. It’s a big place and things can get rather chaotic sometimes, or so I was told by my supervisor. I was put mainly in charge of the media side so I would go around getting the public to pose with their purchases, interview them on what are their thoughts about the event, and getting the photographers to capture it down. Most people are not quite comfortable about being in front of the camera and it’s my job to inform them that the video or pictures would be posted up, and make sure that they’re comfortable with it. Another thing I learnt, publicity is constantly on going, whenever wherever. Each time I interact with people, whether or not it’s the stall holders or the public, I’ll make sure I mention about our Facebook and Twitter page. That way, we build up our data base and inform the existing crowd when there are any upcoming events. One thing to remember: plan ahead. When working on a current event or project, we’re already looking at the next one, even if it’s not happening anytime soon.

The event went well, packed with people who left with big smiles on their faces, and that made me feel a sense of satisfaction. At the end of the event, we counted about 1450 people who attended, including the media. It was the first official event, which I got to really participate in planning and working on it hands on. Definitely an awesome experience and although it’s tough at times when challenges arise, I learnt so much, it’s all worth it.

The event might have ended and I thought things would just end right there, but I realized that there are so much more to do for post-event. More on that in the next post! x

Wee Ee

No comments: