“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” - Bill Cosby
Stakeholder Management
Ah,
stakeholders. They don't realise how important they are to us. As we
have learnt through uni and as I’m sure others have discovered
firsthand, different stakeholders in an organisation require
communication - not just the what or message itself, but also how the message is transmitted.
Whilst
completing my placement at Student Edge, one of the key projects I was
assigned to and given complete ownership of was the corporate
enewsletter (sent via email). Student Edge is very good at communicating
to it's student membership, but not so consistent with communication to
their clients. But clients cannot be neglected! As our lecturers say,
80% of business comes from 20% of clients, and so the relationship
between a business and its clients requires nurturing.
Primary school flashback - the 5 W’s
| Image source |
As
my supervisor Sharyn says, do not underestimate the importance of the 5
Ws – who, what, where, when, why (and how). Before beginning any
project, these 5 Ws need to be answered so both yourself and your
colleagues have a clear idea of the project objectives and end result.
So,
the corporate enews – the objective behind it was to provide an update
on and to present news on the happenings of Student Edge from a business to business perspective.
Student Edge clients are not as interested in the latest student
discounts as they are with how Student Edge fits in with their
communication plan (and if they are not aware of us – how we can help!).
For this newsletter, I had to think not from a student point of view
but from a B2B perspective – what would a client be interested in
reading about? I focused on recent success campaigns, as well as “fast
facts” on the Student Edge membership demographic. Overall, I showcased
what Student Edge can do for their partners.
Based
on my previous experience of working in media, my email inbox was
inundated with a minimum of 50 new emails per day and often a lot of my
'newsletter' emails would be deleted – so I had to make the Student Edge
corporate enewsletter short, sharp, snappy and digestible! Knowing how I
used to go through my emails in the past, I had less than 15 seconds to
capture the recipient's attention.
You can only please some of the people some of the time
I presented my
first draft of the corporate enews to my supervisor Sharyn, who was
overall positive but whose main piece of criticism was the enewsletter
not being clear enough on who were the target stakeholder/s? My
first draft of the enewletter had focused heavily on successful
advertising campaigns, but she reminded me to take my ‘advertising’ hat
off and put on my ‘public relations’ hat again. She said that the
enewsletter had to position itself as coming from the board as opposed
to business development (those in the business who are in charge of
gaining new accounts). So, I had to steer away from the advertising
emphasis and provide more of an general overview, but again as mentioned
keep it short and sharp.
It doesn't stop at copywriting - next steps, briefing design!
One
the copy had been finalised the next step was to brief the design team.
Wouldn’t it be easier if everyone could read everyone else’s minds?
That way, a designer could see exactly how I was seeing the newsletter
in my mind and work their magic to create it! But alas. It was not to
be. Keep an eye out for my next post, where I explain exactly what
happened (or didn't happen!) with design ...
In the meantime, PR Daily provides some further food for thought - 5 questions to ask before you write anything (and if you don't subscibe to their enewsletter already, I highly recommend it!)
Rachel
No comments:
Post a Comment