Friday, August 24, 2012

Juggling between work and studies

[Blog post number 1]

Greetings!

My name is Michelle, currently in my 5th semester in Curtin University, Sarawak Campus (Curtin Sarawak).
My degree is in Marketing and Public Relations and this is my final semester of studies! (I managed to get exemptions for two units, took one unit in one of the previous summer school, and overloading this semester, thus enabling me to complete my studies in just five semesters)   :)

I'm a 22 year old from Klang, Selangor (about 30 minutes drive from Kuala Lumpur), and I must say that Miri is very different from where I come from! 

Being in my final semester, I'm currently enrolled in 5 units (PR393 being one of them), I can't express how tiring yet exciting this journey has been!

I am currently interning at Corporate Communications Department in Curtin Sarawak, and today marks the 11th day at work for me. 

Although it has only been a short 11 days, I've learned a lot from my supervisor and colleagues, and I honestly can't wait to see what's in store for me next! 

A summary on what has happened in the past 11 days
- Introduction to the department and each colleague's job scope
- Official welcome by Manager of Corporate Communications Department - Mr Nicholas Leong
- Media monitoring and press clippings
- Learned how to calculate the value of a piece of news (value of each news varies from one news outlet to the other)
- Wrote one press release, and assisted in drafting out another three press releases (Some of the press releases are published!) The links are:
http://www.curtin.edu.my/campusnews/mediarelease/2012/PR_12-69.htm
http://www.curtin.edu.my/campusnews/mediarelease/2012/PR_12-71.htm
http://www.curtin.edu.my/campusnews/mediarelease/2012/PR_12-72.htm
- Attended a press conference for the upcoming annual Curtin Sarawak Open Day 
- Wrote a draft script for Curtin Sarawak's radio advertisement scheduled for later this year
- Attended media workshop that was organized by Corporate Communications Department for the media students.

I'm very grateful to have such helpful people in the department who are always there to assist me, making me feel comfortable in the office, and most of all, willing to teach me!

Will be sharing more on my internship journey soon. Till then, take care and I hope you've enjoyed reading about my experience thus far  :)


Best regards
Michelle Lau
14452886

No comments: