Hi everyone,
If you are an intern like me and relatively new to the “real
PR world”, I expect you’d have made some mistakes in the course of your work by
now. That’s normal and part of the process of learning.
In fact, I think if you went your whole internship – which
in my case is 19 weeks – without making a single mistake, while submitting
flawless, well-written, content perfect reports and press releases, your bosses
would be falling over themselves in a rush to get your signature on the perm
staff list. Wouldn’t that be fun to watch? I wish.
It’s not just interns who make mistakes, too. A colleague
told me the learning curve is steepest when you first do something new – the
transition from school to your first work internship, a mid-life career change,
an inter-company department swap, et cetera. And along with that steep learning
curve comes the mistakes. It’s like a 2-for-1 package deal.
An intern friend of mine also shared something that I
thought made sense, too. It’s not always your fault when you get something done
wrong. Maybe you weren’t briefed properly, maybe you needed more guidance, or maybe,
more time. It can be really frustrating for both parties when one doesn’t get
the other.
I’ve had days where I feel pretty dumb for messing up and
wish I had the guts to kick myself in the shin. But after a couple of breaths,
it also helps to know that won’t do much for the situation except to leave an
ugly bruise on my leg.
So… I’ve established that everyone – and I mean, even Donald
Trump – makes mistakes. The question is, how serious was the mistake? Was it an
honest mistake or could you have avoided it? And, what did you do after you’d
realised your big boo-boo?
My dilemma
Within my first two weeks at FH, I’d made my first mistake,
and it was a pretty serious one. Also no one else’s fault but mine.
I spelt the brand name of a client wrong. That spelling
error was splattered throughout a pitch e-mail that went out to a journalist.
Media. I know. (Buzzer goes off; fade in music; cue
horrified looks from audience.)
Just penning this whole episode now – three months later –
still makes me cringe.
How did I find out? I was sitting in a meeting for that
account, and finally took my first long, hard look at the company logo. I
remember thinking, “Something doesn’t look right here. Is it supposed to be
spelt like that?” Three seconds later, “Oh, %&#@! Oh no, oh no, oh no.”
As soon as that meeting was over, I rushed out of the room,
face pale. Checked my ‘Sent Items’ folder on e-mail – ta-dah! There it was! My
glaring error plastered all over the pitch note.
The whole team was copied on that e-mail, but no one had realised
it yet. My immediate dilemma was if I should tell someone so they could rectify
the error. Obviously, I’d considered that in doing so, they might also reach
for my neck and the nearest penknife.
Do I tell them? Admit to it, run away and never come back?
Do I hide? Where do I hide? Who do I tell? When? Have I even completed 21 days
here?!
It seemed like a long time to me, but I made my decision
within the next five minutes. I told the two Account Managers on the team and
apologised. Their reaction surprised me, actually.
One: They left my neck intact. Two: After the initial shock,
they laughed and said they’d both read through the e-mail, thought I’d done a
good job writing it, and never realised the error. Whoa. Of course, they also
told me to be careful, but that’s to be expected.
My point is: I felt that the whole incident was an ethical
and moral dilemma for me because I knew it wasn’t a mistake small enough to be
overlooked. And in my mind, the incident could have been bad if the journalist had copy-pasted my e-mail into his story. I don't know. I can be pretty imaginative.
But it was a wake-up call to me to not take my awesome spelling skills for granted and check next time instead of assuming I’d be right. Complacence, you see.
At school, we learn the basic Code of Conduct for journalists and PR practitioners - being honest and truthful when telling a story, acting in the best interest of our company and our clients, respecting privacy rights, declaring a conflict-of-interest, et cetera. While this dilemma of mine involved none of the above (thank god), the act of owning up to my mistake wasn't an easy thing to do too.
But it was a wake-up call to me to not take my awesome spelling skills for granted and check next time instead of assuming I’d be right. Complacence, you see.
At school, we learn the basic Code of Conduct for journalists and PR practitioners - being honest and truthful when telling a story, acting in the best interest of our company and our clients, respecting privacy rights, declaring a conflict-of-interest, et cetera. While this dilemma of mine involved none of the above (thank god), the act of owning up to my mistake wasn't an easy thing to do too.
An internship teaches you more than just work skills. Along
the way, if you’ve got the willingness to learn from your mistakes, you might
also pick up some life lessons.
For me, I was impressed with the way the two Account
Managers handled things. They accepted that it was sent, that nothing could be
done further, and they dropped the matter quickly. It’s one of the things I
love about FH – the open, comfortable working culture helps that I’m not afraid
to ask questions and own up to mistakes. I think that’s an important trait to
remember when we become supervisors ourselves and have to manage a team.
Here are some articles by the experts, for your reading
pleasure:
- “You’ve made a mistake. Now what?” by Amy Gallo
- “10 things you should do if you made a big mistake” by Calvin Sun
- “Owning up to my corrections” by Randy Cohen
Got a "Oops! I did it again" moment? I'd love to hear about the mistake and how your colleagues reacted. What did you do in the end?
Till the next time, cheers!
Cheryl
15062105 / Curtin Singapore
-----
Still don't know the Code of Conduct for PR practitioners? No worries! See, PRIA's Code of Ethics here.
> To learn more on how I ended up at FH, see "Confessions of a PR Intern: Just Getting Started!"
> Some lessons you just can't learn in school. See "Confessions of a PR Intern: What School Doesn't Teach You"
(Opens in a new window.)
15062105 / Curtin Singapore
-----
Still don't know the Code of Conduct for PR practitioners? No worries! See, PRIA's Code of Ethics here.
> To learn more on how I ended up at FH, see "Confessions of a PR Intern: Just Getting Started!"
> Some lessons you just can't learn in school. See "Confessions of a PR Intern: What School Doesn't Teach You"
(Opens in a new window.)

3 comments:
Hi Cheryl
I completely Understand how you feel, and i did a similar thing as you did. I wrote a email news letter which gets sent out to the 400 and something people on the database for the region. In the email, the heading read "first aid traing" Instead of training.... My boss had looked over it quickly and said it was OK, but it was still my fault, I should of double checked the heading! I also was unsure what to do, do I tell my boss, or hope she doesnt notice.
I told her and I got a similar response, she said opps and told me to double check things next time. It definitely is a learning curve, and can be hard to come back from. I already felt like I had a low confidence, and a mistake was all it took to take me back to feeling like I had none.
I think it is better to tell your boss as soon as you know because, if they find out you knew and something bad happens, then it is much worse as it is like you hid it.
Good luck for the rest of you placement
Kristie.
Hey Cheryl!
It feels so much better knowing I'm not the only one who has made silly mistakes at work. I made my first mistake in the first pitch I sent out to the media. Even though everyone says mistakes are part of the learning process, I still feel horrible about making silly mistakes which could have been avoided.
Still, it's part of the learning process. I guess it's an inevitable part of the transition from school to career. It's more important that we learn from it and make the same mistake twice. Now I'm extra cautious when sending out emails to the media!
Your posts are such entertaining reads! They are really insightful and I enjoy reading them. Good luck for the rest of your internship and keep up with all the good work you've been doing with your blog posts! I'm looking forward to your last post!
Lots of love, Mag.
Hello Cheryl!!
Even though you said you made a mistake at work, I have to say I enjoyed reading your flawless and witty blog post.
I admit that I have too made mistakes during my internship. I was lucky though, that the mistake was corrected internally and was not seen by eyes other than my supervisors. My supervisors, just like yours, did not take the situation in a very bad and negative way. Quite on the contrary they showed a lot of understanding and were patient while explaining me once again what was really expected of me.
Hope you having a great time with your internship!
Tasneem
Post a Comment