Monday, October 1, 2012

Building up a Professional Network

Hello readers,

I'm back to keep on talking about my internship and my life in the shoes of a public relations "professional".
During my internship I had a great networking occasion which was presented to me. I was given the opportunity to go the InfoTech at the Swami Vivekananda International Centre, the SVICC.

This fair was organised by the National Computer board and was used to give the chance to companies and universities to showcase emerging technologies and also to prospect future and potential employees and students.

Apave IO was not amongst the showcasing companies but we were able to effectively enhance our corporate contact list by meeting potentials clients directly during the fair.

This gave me the opportunity to also start and build up my own professional network. Meeting with potential clients helped me in creating relationships.

I even got the chance to be taken into photo by one of the major stall of the fair that is Nokia, for their promotional event.


(Me at the Right side)

For a public relations student, having the opportunity to be present at those kinds of professional fairs really helps in the “first impression” process. I really understood the importance given to how you may or may not well represent the company and even yourself as a professional. First impressions are essential and this fair really helped me understand how as a public relation professional first impression is just vital.

1 comment:

Danica said...

Hi Astrid,

I agree with you that having the opportunity to be present at important events makes you realise just how important first impressions are. At these types of events you don't know what sort of important people could be there, so I think it is important to make sure that you are going above and beyond in whatever you are doing to get noticed. And I do believe if you are going out of your way to get noticed, people will remember who you are.

I think at this stage of our degree, networking is so important. Especially when looking for a job, having some connections can be the difference between you and someone who has little contacts and no work experience. You also never know when you may see or be helping these clients/stakeholders in the future - so good impressions count!

It seems like you are really enjoying your placement. It sounds exciting.

All the best,

Danica