Thursday, October 11, 2012

Find what you love and stick with it

Hi. This is my final post for this module. Hope my posts have been helpful and given an insight to some people.

Anyone who read my previous post will know my feelings for working in a hotel. But something I have learnt is a job is only a job until you love it.

Whether you are working for money, experience, a class that forces you to do an internship, or whatever other reason, the only way to truly succeed to find what you love and stick with it.

While I found out that hotel life it not for me, I did enjoy my internship. Why you may ask. I will tell you.

When at work, I felt like I belonged. This isn't because I knew what I was doing, or loved my job so much. It was because of the people I was working with. The memories I made working at La Pirogue are not from the work I did, but from the way I felt doing it. And I felt great. This is because I felt secure. I didnt feel uncomfortable when asking for help. I didnt feel like an outsider. I felt like someone who had been there for as long as any other person.

Everyone was super friendly. They were understanding of my situation. When I couldnt come because of assignments, they didnt make me feel like I was doing anything wrong, but encouraged me as they knew how important studying is. When I asked for help, everyone helped me. When I went for lunch, they invited me to come and sit with them. They included me in all conversations. They even spoke English when I was there to make me feel more comfortable. When they brought cake, they always saved me a piece. They gave me advice, they made me feel like i belonged.

I think this was one of the most important things I learnt while working at La Pirogue. There are days when you dont want to work, when you have personal stuff and you really arent in the mood. Or you are so tired because you were up all night working on assignments. But what got me out to work was the people who were there. You might not always love your job, but when you love the people who you work with, like I did, you will want to go and you will work better since you are comfortable to ask for help or get advice.

So to conclude. In life there will always be things you dont want to do, especially in work. But as long as you have friends and a great support system work wont be work. But rather a day with friends. Doing what you love isnt as important as doing whatever with people whom you like. So when finding a job, dont just look for what you like, but thepeople you will do it with. This will always make the time pass a bit quicker and make the tasks you do that little bit more interesting.

Thanks to everyone who has read my posts. I hope you had great experiences.

No comments: