Monday, October 8, 2012

Impressions of Public Relations


Hi all,

Here we are, the internship program has already come to an end.  For my last blog post, I will try to cover my impressions on the professional world. I should start by saying that it was almost hard to stop the internship as I got used to the practical side of PR and in fact felt like it was not enough. The experience gained went beyond my initial expectations and even more surprisingly, I was carried into a rich fulfilling journey which gave unanticipated knowledge that I thought was not be possible to gain within several months of work. But Public Relations being what it is, I was immediately faced to situations where my theoretical learning has been automatically and constantly used in an essential way. In fact, the internship made me very thankful as for the first time I felt that I had my place in this field which makes the internship even more valuable. From a content and task perspective, whether it be campaigns, meetings, budgets and so on, it was an interesting and certainly not a monotonous thing to do. The fact that people believe in your strategic thinking is a very grateful feeling.

As a whole, the internship now makes me even more excited to start working and aiming at opening my own agency. The experience gained has been even more useful and fundamental, it has enlightened my future career and ambitions by confirming that this is the domain where I am meant and want to be. I believe that Public Relations is a wonderful profession where you act as a missioner of messages but also give with win-win situations both for the company and for the audience.

I wish you all good luck in your future career PR people.

Thank you very much for your time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

I totally understand your feeling when it comes to the gratification of seeing that people trust your judgement.

Sure i have that same feeling now that my internship is coming to its close but I guess that with all the exprience we gained during this internship and thanks to the trust of our supervisors, we as pr students, are finally ready for real life.

Unknown said...

Hello Karen!

I totally agree when you mention that everything that has been gained through classes and several modules helped a lot in thinking quickly during the internship.

Although there is a huge difference between the books and the real world, the knowledge gained was a great advantage. I also can imagine that applying this knowledge and being praised for it on a professional level can only be satisfying and fulfilling.

It is great to see that your internship has actually encouraged you and motivated you to go another step ahead and consider opening your own PR firm.

Good luck with all future plans,

Tasneem

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for your comments.

Actually another good point is that we are st the end of the day all defining our position and value in the professional world. this internship helped us in gaining a conciousness of the practical side which will help in becoming confirmed professionals.

I believe that every experience and knowlegde obtained from everyone is good to take; which outlines a unique path which will eventually lead us to the level we want to reach.

Good luck to you PR people.

Regards,

Karen.

Kelly Ramchurn said...

Hi Karen,

You are right, all that we learnt during the our studies helped a lot in the internship although some were sometimes critised by supervisors as not everything that we learn at the university theorically can be applied at a workplace.