Being given the opportunity to draft several press releases
over the course of my internship at Baptistcare WA, I discovered that they can be very
organisation-specific and quite different to the practice learned at
university. Towards the conclusion of my internship, I was asked to write a
press release about an upcoming 1970s themed staff lunch to mark the
commencement of Baptistcare’s 40th anniversary celebrations.
I sought out the agenda for the lunch from the Events
Officer in order to give myself some initial ideas and to familiarise myself
with the subject of my writing. Obtaining the official agenda also ensured that
my facts would be accurate, always an essential requirement with press
releases.
Quotes included in Baptistcare’s press releases were to come
from at least one of two sources. The first, which is mandatory, was to include
a quote from a senior authority such as the CEO or one of the Directors. The
second, if applicable, was to come from a staff member of the department
relevant to the story. Given this ‘news story’ affected the whole of the
organisation, I considered a quote from our CEO, Lucy, to be most relevant. I
observed that Baptistcare prioritised obtaining quotes from the most senior
people within the organisation ahead of the most relevant person.
I also knew that Baptistcare’s press releases favoured
additional background content that incorporated information as to how the
organisation was fulfilling its mission. One particular activity, the Inaugural
Recognition Awards, was being heavily promoted at the time. I knew that my
supervisor would have inserted a brief statement on the tail end of the release.
I decided to adopt this practice in similar fashion, and added a call to action
for readers to nominate a staff member for the awards. I observed that Baptistcare’s
press releases would often stray from the original subject, which sometimes made the
press release look more like a promotional tool. Lengthier press releases are
also likely to be less appealing to journalists.
Baptistcare had also recently relaunched its website and was
actively promoting its social media presence in its marketing communications.
As a tie in with the subject of the press release, I directed readers to
Baptistcare’s website and social media pages to find further information about
the Inaugural Recognition Awards and 40th anniversary celebrations.
This practice was fairly standard with what I have learned at university and
provides a useful link for readers wanting to find further information.
My overall observation was that Baptistcare had customised the format of a press release to fit with its current marketing needs, which included promoting its mission, upcoming events, activities and leadership. This format varied from university practice, in my opinion.
This press release was a real test of what I had learned during my time with the organisation. Upon reading the final draft, my supervisor told me
that the press release I had written looked perfect and that she wouldn’t
change a thing! I had finally mastered a press release, Baptistcare style!
No comments:
Post a Comment