After weeks of preparation and hard work, the day has finally arrived.
From 50 participants, the RSVP list was filled with 170 participants. After all our effort in writing media releases, pitching to the public and various advertising sources, we were so glad that there was a big jump in the RSVP list. What made us worry was - Will all 170 participants arrive? Or will the numbers be disappointing at the end?
Fortunately, before the event even started, a huge pool of participants started walking into the venue. The first batch of participants were from the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) and their faces were all filled with excitement and looks of suspense. After which, participants kept walking in and I felt elated by the fact that most participants arrived on time for the event.
On the day of the event, I was in charge of liaising with the caterer and the management of volunteers. I was a little apprehensive about managing the volunteers as I have not met most of them before. I was glad when most of them arrived on time and they gave me their fullest attention when I was conducting the briefing. In addition, all the volunteers were very responsible with the tasks given to them and I honestly feel that the event wouldn't have went so smoothly without the help of all the volunteers.
I was very worried about the catering as I felt that it was an important and significant part of the event. I started to panic went the caterers did not arrive at the stipulated time and I did not know who to contact. Thankfully the caterers came before I could get a heart attack from being too nervous from the wait. The delivery man was very friendly and apologized for the late arrival as they had a hard time trying to find the place. As I did not know that I could order different dishes for both days, the delivery guy suggested to me and volunteered to change the second day dishes for me. It was very heartwarming to meet someone this helpful when I was in the middle of a whole lot of stress.
To sum up the event, it went extremely well considering the fact that it was an event handled by a small team of only four individuals. From the number of participants attended to the flow of the whole event, there were no hiccups along the way and all the participants seemed to have enjoyed themselves on the first day of the event. Despite the smooth run of the event on the first day however, only half of the first day's participants attended on the second day. I remember that we were very disheartened when the attendance on the second day was very poor as we felt that the workshop might be uninteresting and boring to the participants. However, the group discussed about the attendance and told one another that we have already tried our best and we should be looking at the number of lives that we have inspired instead of the number of people who came to the event.
When the two days of the event ended, we finally breathed a sigh of relief and patted on each other's back for all the hard work that we have put in for the event. This is my second time handling an event but this is definitely the hardest event that I ever handled in my life due to its amount of work and logistics to be done. But nevertheless, it was a good experience that I would never want to exchange for anything.
Chan En Ning Charmaine
15741912
Curtin Singapore
1 comment:
Hi Charmaine,
I am glad to hear that your event turned out to be a success, despite all the hiccups and worries that you and your team experienced.
Having personal experience in managing an event, I can understand exactly what you went through.
In my case, some participating teams for the programming competition we had organised, turned up late and the whole programme schedule was delayed. I was rather worried but as you know, anything and everything can go wrong during an event.
The best thing to do in such a situation is to keep calm and adapt. Thankfully, we managed to get back on track and finished the event on time.
Having said all that, I am sure you would agree with me that it was a good experience and we are now well-equipped for future events!
Post a Comment