Thursday, January 31, 2013

Advocating Stakeholders, Press Conferences and CSR.


Hi, It's me again! It has been an exciting week for me as there were two events in a week, a press conference and Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signing ceremony. I feel delighted to be invited to a press conference held by our campus, Curtin University Sarawak and a local renown poverty company, Naim Land. This alliance of both companies benefits to fulfill their common mission on community engagement. This is also an opportunity for me to meet more people and extend relationship with our stakeholders. 

The main purpose of this press conference is to launch and deliver the important details of the short video competition themed "My High-rise Home". This competition aims to gain local community's view of what forms of ideal high rise living and also collecting marketing messages through creative video productions. I personally think this is a great platform provided for the local youngsters to shine their talents and creativity ideals. 

After the press conference, the VIPs and journalists are invited to have a glance on Naim Land's newly launched architectural and interior miniature models displayed at the exhibition corner. Refreshment was served after that. I really enjoy the pleasant atmosphere where everyone stays to socialize with each other. It is really a great experience for me.

Q&A session during the press conference.

My colleagues and me. Refreshment was served after the press conference.


The second event of the week is Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signing ceremony. This MoU signing event is to assure co-operation between Curtin and Samling group of Companies can be continue in broader range. 

The local journalists and managers of Samling Group of Company were invited to the event. Before the ceremony starts, media kits are distributed to the media journalists. The honored attendants of this event are Curtin Sarawak council's chairman, Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Dr George Chan, Chief Operating officer (COO) of Samling company and vice-chancellor and chief executive of Curtin Sarawak, Ian Kerr. 

In Dr Chan's speech, he believed through this MoU signing not only it will reinforce both parties' relations but also continue to improve students' development through internships placement, scholarships, subsidiaries or guest lectures. This MoU signing also encourages collaboration in CSR activities advocate community's benefit and interest.



In this event, I learnt the procedures in organizing a press conference. My supervisor has been busy sending invitation e-mails to the journalists. We arrived to the venue early to ensure the sound system works, the backdrop is nicely put up, indoor lighting is bright enough and so on. Media kits are needed to be prepared and hand in to the journalists before the event starts. 

To conclude, I found out that the common ground of these two events are both aiming at gaining mutual benefits while advocate the other key stakeholders - students and the community. By having collaborations between the education institution and other enterprises help in gaining more stakeholder's support and useful resources. The press conference is a way to communicate with the stakeholder of what is happening recently. Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is also one of the vital activities in our department. We often  collaborate with some of the corporations for CSR activities. 

Coming week, we will have another CSR event going on. I will share with you guys with my experience again on my next post!


Renee Tiong
Curtin Bentley
15621580

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Wow, this is the first time that I see a press conference event that is not in TV dramas! It must have been an interesting experience for you. How I wish I could have such an opportunity too!

But then again, you must have gone through immense stress while making preparations for the press conference! Hope your CSR event goes well, do share about it! Looking forward to hear more! :)

Rivorynee said...

Hello again Joanna!

It was really a great experience for me to participate in a conference event! I have learnt a lot about the procedures handling a press conference. My colleagues handled most of the tasks so I feel rather excited for all the preparation! I am sure you will get similar experience in your internship too.

Hope all is going well for you! Have a nice day! x