Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Hands-on practice in-house


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

After having completed my second week at NEUW I feel that I now have a good understanding of the business. With a more hands-on focus this time, most of this week I prepared and edited their winter ’13 look book. What does that mean, some of you may think? Basically, it's everything from shooting flat-lays of the products to edit the layout in InDesign. I would like to recommend everyone wanting to pursue a career in public relations or marketing to learn InDesign and Photoshop. I’m self-taught, and have found it very useful for uni assignments as well as editorial pieces.

My first two weeks at NEUW confirmed what I already knew: PR involves numerous different types of tasks. It could be anything from research, strategy and layout to conferences, brainstorming meetings and events. PR is not a career where you only deal with one type of people – and that is what I like about the profession.

One of the reasons I wanted to complete my PR internship in-house was simply because I have found it fits my personality better. I have always enjoyed the thought of understanding the company you’re communicating for inside out, and that way being able to using all information to either improve/promote or sustain how the business operates. In-house practice is not for everyone though, and there are definitely positive sides with consultancy. Handling several different accounts across sectors might be the most motivating, but also that you usually specialise within a few areas.

NEUW employs both in-house experts and consultants. In other words - you get the best of two worlds, especially when dealing with consumer relations. Because we are living in a hyper modern fast-paced world, a consumer's mind-set and buying patterns change rapidly. In my opinion, behavioural and attitude change are the two most interesting aspects of communication. Does anyone agree (or disagree) with me? 

On my last day before the Christmas break I presented my own business recommendations to my supervisor. Next step, to begin when I’m back in mid-January, is to execute some of my suggestions. My supervisor initiated this structure, as we knew I was only going to be available for a short amount of time. I have to say it makes me feel important and very much more a part of the staff team than 'just' being an intern. It’s also definitely one of the better ways of learning.

Sara

2 comments:

Christy Lau said...

Hey Sara!

Loved reading your post! :) I'm also doing in-house as well at the Marriott hotel in Bangkok. I've always thought in-house would suit me better as it's more focused and you can direct all your efforts to improving one company's business.

You are right about PR being about everything. I've also had to do unexpected things like edit some photos to send with a press release (thank goodness I took Design Practice 172!) and do some research on various things for press releases and etc.

I love everything I do though and it sounds like you do too. You getting to edit a look book sounds so exciting! The most I get to contribute are the press releases I write and the pictures I edit that go with them! I also get to place my input in certain things and my boss will ask us for our opinion sometimes which is very nice of her.

Enjoy your time there :) Can't wait to read more!

Unknown said...

Hello Sara!

Fashion PR sounds so exciting! It must have been very difficult to prepare and edit a look book, so kudos to you for having done that!

For me, I'm working in the online retail industry, and I think it can somewhat be considered as Fashion PR too, as my company brings in fashion products most of the time.

I don't have to prepare or edit look books, but I have to make use of the pictures in look books from various brands to create blog articles or newsletters for my company. Thus, I feel really thankful for people who create look books as it's much easier to explain and describe the items that we're selling!

Just like you, I think that behavioural and attitude change are two of the most interesting aspects of communication, and to me, they are the some of the most challenging parts to tackle too! It's really difficult keep up with buying patterns, so I hope that the both of us will learn more about that during our time in our respective companies! :)

Your post is interesting and insightful, and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more from you!