Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Media liaison for a day

Greetings!

Sorry that it's been a while! I have been busy with events and caught a cold lately. I hope everyone is still enjoying internship as I do! :) Continue from my previous post, my boss had given me an important task on last Friday. My colleague and I are told to assort and segregate corporate gifts into packets and send them accordingly to our significant stakeholders -- the media group. As it is the beginning of the year, we chose to give out 2013 calendars and planners to the local press firms and radio station.

 Little notes and labels to be attached on the gift bags.
Assorted corporate gifts into gift bags and ready to give out. 
After getting ready of everything we needed, we set out from our office to the press firms. Once we reached to the press firms, we were warmly welcomed by the reporters and their sales managers. My supervisor made greetings and conversation with them and then handed over the corporate gifts we brought as a token of appreciation. As I am a new face to all the press firms' reporters and sales managers, I did a lot of self introduction which is fun :) 

Taking photo with one of the DJ in sound studio along with my supervisor.
The last stop of the day was a local RTM radio station, which locates on the top of a hill with a spectacular sea view.  The director of the radio station invited us into a guest room after we handed him the gifts. The director was enthusiastically introducing us the new promotion packages and rates for radio advertising. He also jokingly asked if I am interested to be a part time DJ in their radio stations, which later was kindly rejected by my supervisor stating that I am still a student. I was actually surprised and did not expecting this from the director as I was just nodding and listening to the conversation.  After that, the director kindly show us around in the radio station before we end our relations building visit.

From this visit, I learnt the art of making conversation with the media persons. I also learnt media is considered a significant stakeholder for corporate communication department. It really is vital for our department to maintain a positive relations with media and press firms to build positive reputation for our university since media group is influential in getting more coverage to our primary stakeholders. I am really glad that I get to do this with my colleagues. There are more things to come for me to learn of. If you want to know what is it, stay tune for my next post! 


Till then!

Renee Tiong
15621580
Curtin Bentley.

No comments: