Hi everyone,
Today marks the eleventh day I have been interning at d2 Publicity, which is only the beginning since my internship ends in May. To be frank, this internship hasn't been easy, not the sense that the work is difficult but I am still adjusting to not only the company but America in general- I am still confused about the pounds/ounces system whenever I have to mail things! That said however, I am learning a lot.
So far my duties around the office include:
- Sending out product samples to top editors, bloggers, publicists, etc.
- Answer phone calls
- Updating the company database
- Creating PR reports, PR coverage reports
- Organise messengers pick up
- Count and organise client inventory currently on hold in the office
- Search for features in magazines of clients
- Fill out and send out client's expense reports
- Run errands to client's stores, printing/photocopy place, newsagency etc.
This is quite difficult to mention but I think it's important that we remember that mistakes are also a part of learning, especially when we're still interning- it's what interning is all about, learning and gaining experiences. So, last week I made a big mistake when sending out the client's expense reports. I did everything correctly until the part where I had to send it. I accidentally labelled each expense send using letter mail prices instead of the flat mail prices (again, I'm still getting used to everything and I hardly ever send mail, even in Perth!). We tried calling the mail man to bring everything back but it was too late.
Basically, I messed up and my boss was furious and of course I kept apologising. I felt terrible and I wanted to cry. More importantly, I refuse to use the "I'm from Australia. I don't understand these things" excuse. So in the end, I sucked it up, but the important thing is, I will definitely learn and remember this mistake in the future.
Surprisingly however, none of the expenses has bounced back to the office so, maybe I didn't mess up too bad. The mail man did say that if it were to return, it would've been back the very next day or at the latest on Monday or Tuesday- I am relieved that it didn't bounce back! But now I will be sure to remember to use the flat shipping prices and not letter prices!
So yes, it had been a rather awful week for me at work last week but I am always trying to prove not only myself but my boss and supervisor that I am a good intern and they weren't wrong at giving me this opportunity.
It is definitely not easy trying to figure everything out here. I am not going to lie, I have had moments where I just want to quit and catch the next flight back to Perth so I can see my family and friends, but I need to be realistic. I need to remind myself that I am given this wonderful opportunity to intern in New York and that I am going to try and get the most out of this internship as possible.
Karen Kasasih
14856132
Curtin Bentley
(Semester 1, 2013)
2 comments:
Hi Karen,
It sounds like you are learning a lot, that's for sure. I' happy you shared this experience in the blog - after all we do internships to learn and to ge to know the industry. 'Fail, Fail again. Fail Better', as Samuel Beckett once said.
Indeed you are very fortunate being in NYC and learning everything outside of work too. Arriving in a new part of the world and culture is extremely difficult at times (ask me about it!). But it adds to your life experience - and especially within communication that skill is much valuable.
GOOD LUCK and I look forward to hearing more about your adventure.
Sara Mattsson
Hi Karen,
I hope your experience of making a mistake is not going to scar you for the rest of your internship. You are going to stay there till May. My advice to you is, put it behind you and keep excelling to the best of your ability.
I am sure you are going to do great with such a wonderful opportunity given to you. They always say, "No pain, no gain". This is going to be such a great experience for you and I am actually quite jealous.
Good luck with your internship and I wish you all the best.
- Priya Suraindran
Post a Comment