Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Reflections on my PR internship

Well now that the end of my internship has come, it's time to reflect on my time spent there and all the things I learned and liked or didn't like. I am definitely sad to leave the hotel and it feels strange to me to no longer have to go to work everyday and not have to think about the hotel's doings as I'm no longer part of it. Recently, I will saw a mention of the JW in a magazine and thought about notifying my PR manager about it before realizing it is no longer my concern.

But I had a great time at the hotel and I took away so many valuable experiences. I now understand what it is like to practice PR in the real world and I finally know that this is the career path I want to take after I graduate. Before I started, I was so unsure because the idea of PR sounded stressful and pressure filled. And while yes, I learned PR is stressful, I can see how it works in the real world and it looks really manageable  at least from an in-house perspective. Oh, and that's another thing, when I do go into PR, I want to try in-house because it seems less stressful and more focused which is better as I'd like to put my efforts into improving one company, rather than several.

I would say the best parts of my job have been the media events both outside the hotel and inside. I loved getting out there and meeting media people, chatting to them, making connections. And when it came to media events in the hotel, I loved watching the print media and TV crew/radio crew come in to film/review our hotel and restaurants. I loved how I got to have input on who we should allow to come and feature our hotel and who shouldn't. It made me feel like part of the team. We also got to plan the annual MICE press trip for our hotel which was a lot of fun too and again, great having that input.

The more menial part of my job was the media monitoring  It can be tiring going through all those magazines and newspapers but then I enjoyed the feeling I got when I found something and got to make a clipping for it and then file it away in the PR report. I loved being able to tell my boss how our value was looking at any time during the month. Then of course there was the media database which was tiring to put together even if it is a critical part of PR.

I really regretted not being able to stay longer though. At the end of the month, the annual media blitz would commence where the team visits all media outlets to send them gifts and further cement the PR-media relationship. But I also got to experience alot too in my time there so I'm fairly satisfied.

This is not the end of my PR journey though, and I hope to have many more great experiences in the future!

 Christy Lau Su Mei
15130659
Curtin Bentley (Sem 1, 2013)

4 comments:

Rivorynee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rivorynee said...

Hi Christy,

It must be tough for you to end your relation with such great company which brings you memorable pleasing experiences in this short time. I believe this is not the end to everyone of us here :) We still have so much more to learn and encounter in our future PR profession.

Hope you could pick up the grief soon and I wish you all the best with your future endeavor!


Cheers,

Renee xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy,

It sounded like you had such a great experience and walked away from it with a lot to think about for your career in the future! Hospitality was one of the industries that stuck out to me, along with music and fashion. Would you look for a position in hospitality again or would you venture into a new industry?

Good luck with the rest of your studies and with everything else! :)

-Karen.

Raiyana said...

Hi Christy

I was also thinking of working for an in-house PR department, as from my experience at a PR consultancy firm I would tell you that its a lot of work. Handling so many different accounts at the same time is quite hectic.