Hello
fellow bloggers!
Today, I
want to talk about my experience of x-mas.
I have
not really celebrated Christmas ever so it was a really interesting experience
for me, with teachings of its own kind. The whole experience started off with
the announcement of secret Santa in the office. I was unaware of what the
tradition was and got filled in by my colleagues. I am guessing most of you
would know about it, but for those who don’t, secret Santa is where you write a
wish list and someone gets you a present from that wish list, but you cannot know
who it is, until the day you open the presents and guess the person! As soon as
that announcement was made, there was excitement in the office.
Ms
Mahyun, the HR person of the firm wrote down everybody’s name on chits and put
them in a bowl. Everyone picked their chits and coincidently I got Ms Mahyun’s
name. After that we all wrote three presents out of which we wish our secret
Santa to get one for us on the white board in the conference room. The wish
list had to be within budget of course! Followed by this tradition was setting
up of the x-mas tree. That too was exciting indeed and it really gave me a
chance to get to know my colleagues better. Just to be able to spend time with
them, laughing and not thinking about work. In the hustle and bustle, all of us
decided the theme of the x-mas lunch to be the seventies.
The days
went on and the x-mas tree was looking prettier and prettier by the day with
presents collecting under it. And just as the present increased, so did our
curiosity! Each morning we would gather around the tree and try to guess who
put the present under it.
Finally
the day of the x-mas lunch arrived and we all changed in to our seventies
costumes, got the presents and headed to the restaurant. Awaiting there was a
room, set with fancy x-mas decorations and a table for 12. We set the presents
down and finally, once everyone was gathered, sat down for the lunch. At the
lunch itself, we had a blast chit chatting and making jokes. As soon as the
lunch was over, it was time to open presents!
One of my
colleagues, Wen dressed up as Satan Clause and gave away the presents. There
were many jokes cracked and many guesses made, some received the presents they
wished for, and some didn’t. But no complain was heard or felt, it was all
appreciated. After that, I and three other colleagues, the “newbies” of the
firm were asked to perform, which was very nerve racking! We came up with a
parody of jingle bell rock, incorporating it with Perception Management.
Luckily it was enjoyed by the audience!
Followed
by that was a speech made by the CEO of the company in which he spoke of the
plans for the year 2013 and made some announcements of promotions and so on.
After his speech, the CEO, Mr Kishore gave away appreciative certificates and
presents. Each and every employee was praised for their specific talent, and he
even included me! I really saw how much respect he earned by showing and
encouraging his employees of their individual talents.
In my
perspective, that is one of the crucial lessons I learnt; the art of
appreciating others at your work place. Not only does this create an
inspirational atmosphere but also respect for your team members and team
leader. I saw how it motivated all the employees as they knew they were being appreciated
and that their effort is noticed. Another important lesson I learnt is of
having good relations at the workplace. If you try to have fun and be friends
with your colleagues, it makes work much more fun. This also adds in to the
respect you give your colleagues. From what I saw, the strong bond of
friendship led to everyone being extremely helpful, this got things done much
more efficiently. Little things such as certificates and appreciative comments
go a long way indeed! I would say the team of Perception Management is indeed
one of the best I have worked in.
![]() |
| Four of us singing our version of "Jingle Bell Rock" |
![]() |
| Almost the whole team at Perception Management |


1 comment:
Hi Sibgha,
Sounds like you've enjoyed the Christmas celebration with Perception Management team. At the place I did my internship, Fleishman-Hillard KL, we had almost the same thing like in Perception Management (the secret Santa) just that we were not provided with wish list which is quite challenging for me to get a present for my colleague whom I just knew for two weeks and instead of lunch, we had early dinner but sadly not everyone turn up for it including my secret Santa.
Before this, my Christmas celebration is only limited to house visiting and exchanging present with my best friend. But, this time around, it was a very new experience for me and I had so much fun. The best part of the celebration was I get to see my colleague's excited expression when she opened her gift that I gave to her during the dinner. Its like seeing a little kid jump excitedly after getting a candy and of course I felt happy at that time.
Another main attraction was we get to eat the fine dining meals at Vineria.IT, Bangsar Shopping Centre. I was happy of course as I don't get the chance to eat those kind of food at fine dining restaurant on daily basis.
I believe this kind of celebration can unite all the staffs and enhance the relationship especially between staffs and the general manager. It is also a great way to release stress and make everyone feel rewarded after a long hours of working.
In PR, building relationships with colleagues/ teammate is as important as building relationships with the media. Great relationship creates great PR team. Great PR team can produce better company's portfolio.
All the best to you, Sibgha.
Best regards,
Fazar Ria Muneera
13761196/7D5B3504
Semester 1, 2013
Curtin University Sarawak Campus
Post a Comment