2
months has past since I’ve started my internship here, at Ogilvy Public
Relations Singapore, under social@Ogilvy. The workload gets heavier, demands
and expectations climbs higher, hours becomes longer and rest hours dwindling.
It doesn’t help when I have two other modules in school, which gets more
intensive with projects and assignments. Despite all that, the knowledge pool
is still filling up and everyday is still a learning experience. It helps to
remind myself that, I am afterall, living the dream by given the opportunity to
work in my dream company. :)
That
aside, I will be sharing more about what I do, being an intern here with
social@Ogilvy. Are you wondering about
the subject, about “watching the audience”?
We
are often told that we have to be careful of what we post and express online
via the various social media platforms. It has never been as evident as what
some of the tasks I’m doing, shows.
Part
of our scope for most brands is to manage their brand presence on the digital
realm and their social media accounts. This process involves strategizing an
approach, planning a schedule, creating the content, monitoring the activities,
reacting to responses and so fore.
Conversation Calendars
One
of the tasks involved is to plan and create conversations on behalf of them.
On
the brand I work on, we create a calendar on a weekly basis, with at least 1
post for Facebook a day, based on three content/message pillars. As the brand I
work on is a Fast-Moving Consumer Goods brand (FMCG), we have created an Edgy
online persona to make it stand out and create content according to that. We
brainstorm on a weekly basis with Creatives to come up with contents, which
would likely drive conversation or engagement. It is really exciting to see
which posts hit the sweet spot and to watch the “fan base”, “likes” or
engagement rates grow.
Based
on Grunig’s Four models of Public Relations, Facebook and many other social
platforms are on a two-way symmetrical model, even if on the surface, most
might not realize it. The “fans” can
communicate with the brand through messaging, comments or sharing. The
comments, shares and likes are monitored to help content creation and
communication to the public.
Reports
are generated either on a weekly or monthly basis to give clients and ourselves
insights on, the demographics more active or receptive on the page. Through
monitoring, it is also a gauge of whether our communications are going through
and if the performance on the digital platform has improved sales or whatever
objectives it has been set for.
Social Listening
Traditional
media have to do media monitoring and for social media, we have social
listening. Despite certain similarities, the objective can be quite different.
It
can be for research, to start off a strategy, as an analysis tool or as an ongoing function on social
media crisis management AKA Listening Post, to catch on to either online News, user conversations or mentions about a brand. This is the part of the
work where I feel like a social-stalker.
Photo Credit: memecrunch.com
We have tools to search based on keywords on the conversations that goes on in the various online platforms and they do go quite in-depth. I started off with a 5-6 thousand mentions on a weekly reporting basis and am also doing a daily monitoring now for that brand with an umbrella of other brands. It is actually quite interesting, just that it is tedious and time consuming. This is the best part, the tool actually captures private users' mentions on the brands as well as backdated "deleted" conversations or contents from, say a blog or a forum comment. Time to seriously think twice about what you post online!
Bulk of my work is shifting to helping for new pitches which is an amazing experience and also listening. I foresee more sleepless nights ahead, however, so far, its been so good. Good news seems to be dropping by very soon, lookout for upcoming updates!
Alexa Lim Yuanfen
15806675
Proud intern of social@Ogilvy, Ogilvy Public Relations Singapore.

No comments:
Post a Comment