Thursday, May 16, 2013

PR in real action – Part 1


I thought that after being here for more than 10 weeks in my company, it will be great to provide real-life photos to my daily job scope.

A little background, I’m attached to the Healthcare team in Waggener Edstrom Singapore.

1. Media monitoring
Newspapers - my best-friends to every week day morning. The entire healthcare team 5 of us will all camp in a meeting room from 8.30am to 10am to sieve through all healthcare news from 11 media outlets that are relatable to our clients. We then summarise the articles then put them into a template and email it out to our client before 10am.

On a hectic day we can clip about 30  articles, and on quieter days we clip about 15. Yes, all done within 1.5 hours. :)




















Challenges: translating articles and medical terms from Chinese/Malay into English and time constraints.
Learning point: make notes on commonly used special medical terms or hospitals and consolidate them into a list for easy reference.

2. Events
I was lucky to join the press conference event done for our client, I was involved in media registration and some back stage work included confirming the list of media attending the press conference as well as designing and making ID tags for everyone attending the event.

Challenge: It was my first time designing a template for the ID tag, sizing, and last minute additions.
  
Background: this was our event for our client Abbott. Local renowned singer Stefanie Sun was the spokesperson and we had a minute with the star.




Challenges: I wasn’t able to identify who’s who and who’s from which media, and I was nervous to be meeting the people who writes the stories in the newspapers that I read everyday.

Learning point: I made effort to try to remember who’s who at my first meeting so as to build relationships in case I’d see them again in the future and its important for me to give a good first impression as I was representing my agency.

Soon, my internship with Waggener Edstrom would be coming to an end, and my coming path would still be an adventure for me. J

Till then, 
Joycelyn Foo
15443975
J

No comments: