Sunday, April 21, 2013

First Day of My Internship

    I have enrolled Public Relation (Professional Practice) 393 as my final year unit.  In order to pass this unit, I have to complete an internship as stated in the requirement in the unit outline to accomplish my report. I went through a hard time to find companies that were able to provide me the position as a public relations intern. Thank god, Curtin Sarawak Corporate Communication Department finally approved  my internship. The office hour for the department starts from 8am and ends at 5pm every Monday to Friday. I knew that punctuality is very important so I reached quite early that day and I was quite nervous since it was the first day of my intern. I took a deep breathe in order to calm myself down before I could knock on the office door. Meanwhile I saw Ms Marcella Gider, who is also the senior office of the corporate communication department opened the door. She gave me a smile and led me to my seat and then she started to explain and assign works for me . 

    There were three thick files and newspapers put on my table. I was told by Ms Marcella that the files were to classify different types of media clippings.There were three types of media clipping been categorized which include feature articles written by Curtin academics, paid advertisement and press clipping which written by the Corporate Communication department or the journalists. Ms Marcella also taught me ways to record and keep them in the archive. Since then, media monitoring and media clipping have become  my routine job. I need to read a total of seven newspapers each day, which are namely The Star, Borneo Post, Utusan Sarawak, New Sarawak Tribune, Sin Chew Jit Poh, See Hua Daily News, United Daily News and New Straits Time. 

   I have also learnt that there are values for every article and the way of counting the article’s values shown as below:

height: 20cm
3 columns
Step 1: Cut out the newspaper clipping and paste it on a A4 paper to be kept in the archive.
Step 2: Calculate the number of columns, and measure the height of the news article.

*According to the figure above, it is assumed that there is a total of three columns and height of 20 cm. Hence, the calculation of the value of the news would be 3 x 20 x RM 63 = RM 3,780. (With the assumption that this news article is published on The Star newspaper, with a coloured picture and/or headline.)

These are the newspapers I have to deal with everyday.
   
Press release is glued and recorded in a paper.
The details of the media clipping are to be recorded and key  into the computer.

The media clipping are categorized into three types. 


   Meanwhile, I was introduced to my other colleagues, Nicholas Leong, corporate communication manager, Ling Yii Yang, Corporate Communications Officer (Marketing Communications & Publications), Nurrianti Jalli, Corporate Communication Officer (Campaign, CSR, and Campus Events & Special Project), Flynn Aladdin, Senior Graphic Designer and Wee Yee Boon, Web Designer. They were all very nice and friendly.

That all for the day. Do feel free to comment on my post. TQ!

Regard,
Ten Ing Ahe (Kim)
7E1A8532/15621276
Curtin Sarawak 






1 comment:

mickey said...

Hi Kim,

I enjoyed reading your blog posts as I get to know all different types of experiences that face by us while doing the job tasks given as well as meeting all the different kinds of people at work.

Well, I could feel the same as you because I am also doing my internship when the semester start instead of doing it during school holidays. It is definitely not easy for us to study, having class on-going everyday and working at the same time especially during daytime.

And also, we are really lucky to meet the colleagues who are nice, friendly and willing to teach us.

Regards,
Wong Pei Ling
15124092/7d9b7180