I arrived in Malaysia with no idea of what to expect. Beyond
our pre-departure information session (which informed us of general country
information such as the population, weather and how to dress), our insight into
the Malaysian Public Relations industry and the country itself was
embarrassingly limited.
I decided to take an internship overseas for two reasons; 1)
Staying in one place is a difficult task for me (AirAsia and I have formed a
pretty tight friendship over the last couple of years), and 2) It’s been
suggested Gen Ys will have five different career changes over their
lives (Metcalf 2014) – so who knows where each of these professions
will take place? A little international exposure seemed to be an appropriate platform
for getting a taste of professional settings, whilst satisfying my urge to
travel.
I was lucky enough to be selected to work with GO
Communications, a leading communications firm in Malaysia and South-East Asia. A
gentleman named Michael de Kretser - a name renowned amongst PR circles for
left-field creativity and doing the undoable, leads the company with his son
Peter. About 25 people form the entire team.
My first week at GO was enlightening and full on; Hannah
(another Curtin PR student) and I were split into two teams covering different
clients. Straight away we were shown how to do media monitoring and clippings
(something I thought we’d never do – sorry Karen Kerlin! (PR Media lecturer)) There
was an immediate emphasis placed on teaching us the ropes and getting us
settled in, which I was really thrilled about after having visions of being a bona
fide barista by the end of my first professional placement.
It’s interesting to note at this point that GO calculates
the Advertising Value Equivalent (AVEs) of generated press. When doing media
clippings, the size, colour and publication are all used as inputs to calculate
the amount of exposure a client received from the work. I found this to be an
unusual standard for a leading firm, particularly after being taught in first
year uni that AVEs are often the subject of considerable criticism. PRIA even regards
it as a total ‘no no’ in the world of PR (Macnamara 2014). I discussed this distinction with a colleague; she proposed the disparity may
exist, as most Malaysian clients want to see how much bang they’re getting for
their buck in real, measurable figures. Australian firms, however, may be more
concerned with seeing an effect created from their investment, which in turn
would create a monetary return.
So far Malaysia has been a blast, and I really like the
down-to-earth and chilled-out environment at GO. I’ve been told to expect
events, client pitches and creative strategizing in the coming weeks, so I will
report back with updates soon. I hope my blog can provide a chuckle, an insight
into the Malaysian PR industry and a taste of home for all the Curtin Malaysian
students abroad.
Good luck, everyone!
Macnamara, Jim. 2014. Advertising Values to Measure PR: Why They Are Invalid. PRIA. Accessed 2 March, http://www.pria.com.au/sitebuilder/resources/knowledge/files/1868/advaluestomeasureprpaper.pdf
Metcalf, Fran. 2014. Working with, not for, the boss. Career One. Accessed 2 March, http://career-advice.careerone.com.au/career-development/professional-development/working-with-not-for-boss/article.aspx
Macnamara, Jim. 2014. Advertising Values to Measure PR: Why They Are Invalid. PRIA. Accessed 2 March, http://www.pria.com.au/sitebuilder/resources/knowledge/files/1868/advaluestomeasureprpaper.pdf
Metcalf, Fran. 2014. Working with, not for, the boss. Career One. Accessed 2 March, http://career-advice.careerone.com.au/career-development/professional-development/working-with-not-for-boss/article.aspx

No comments:
Post a Comment