Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A Real Learning Curve - Putting Everything Into Practice (1)

After completing the first four days of my internship with Netball WA/West Coast Fever, I can honestly say it's already been one of the best experiences I've been apart of during my time at university. It's also one which I've been looking forward to start reflecting on. I decided to wait a few days before my first post on the reflective blog, giving myself a bit of time to settle in and soak up the first part of my internship.

Since getting in contact with the organisation, I've already had some fantastic opportunities to branch out into a professional setting and put some of my skills to the test.
By good fortune I was able to find this placement, where my background and passion in the form of sport led Netball WA to think I could be a really handy fit to work for them as an intern across the season just beginning.
I was certainly beyond excited to get involved and make a good impression.

I was determined to find placement in a sports-related organisation, and to this point it's been a great fit for me. I've been able to work in the industry that I've always wanted, but at the same time it's a step away from the usual sports that I follow and it's been a great challenge working in a different environment.
I feel like I've learnt more in four days at Netball WA than I had about netball in the past 20 years!

To reflect on some of the things I've been doing so far, my role is predominantly being apart of some exciting new community engagement projects, advocating to connect with the community media and building the organisations profile at a grass-roots level. While The West Coast Fever have a good fan-base, Netball WA has untapped potential that we're trying to unlock! I've also been busy interviewing relevant people in the release of some content for the organisation's newsletter and website.  I'm also looking forward to Sunday where I'll be assisting with media/communications on Fever's matchday too, which should be a great learning experience.
I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far, with the people who work for the organisation doing a fantastic job of easing me into the role, while giving me plenty to focus on, enabling me to develop my PR/Media skills and put them into practice! There's a good culture here, and a sense of unity that I truly appreciate it. It feels good to feel apart of the team, and I'm going to continue to learn in this new role and do my best to contribute!

Thanks so much for reading, I'll continue to reflect on my experiences using this blog as my internship continues! It's been an exciting few days thus far and I'm sure it'll only get better as the season goes on.

Go Fever!

Tom

No comments: