I think research was one of the first steps I did every time I was assigned a task, particularly when it came to writing. Interning at Therapy Focus, who provides therapy disability services for children, I have come across medical terms used by the therapists that I am not familiar with. Some terms I have heard before but never really understood what they meant.
One role as a communicator in Therapy Focus is being able to simplify these terms and understand them, in order to give sound advice and information in Therapy Focus Resource Booklets. All the information provided needs to be accurate and up to date. However, our department can always ask any of their friendly therapists about something they did not know. They're just a phone call or email away.
When it came time to write an article on how funding from Help A Child Grow Fund helped a child receive much needed equipment, I first looked at the background of the child and why his family needed the equipment. Then I researched more about the child's disability.
This process helped me gain a better understanding of the path article would likely be going.
Studying public relations, lecturers have always stated the importance of research, whether writing a media release or developing a communication plan in group assignments. I think those tasks have assisted me through my internship in more ways than one.
I guess what you can take way from this is to "never underestimate the importance of research in public relations".
Until next time,
Maria Nabankema
15508764.
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://http://printernship-reflections2.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Maria, sounds like you have had a wonderfully challenging placement.
I'm a research fanatic myself, so can only imagine learning new medical concepts and finding an appropriate way to communicate medical terminology into laments terms for others would be really interesting!
Hi Maria,
Thank you for sharing your insights.
I agree with you on the fact that research is crucial in public relations. As it is a public discipline, everything that we will present or share needs to be verified and counter-verified. Any published error may affect the credibility of the company delivering the message.
Moreover, as you said, doing research when assigned a task such as designing a communication campaign is crucial. A thorough study of the market provides a solid foundation in the creation of a project.
My employer always tells me to look for what the best in the industry are doing as a basis for my research activities.
Wish you good luck for the end of the semester!
Sonia Monty
15886499
CTI Mauritius
Hi Maria,
I can most definitely relate to your post, as within my internship I too was required to prioritise research as it is a function that has the ability to facilitate impeccable PR work.
Personally, my experiences within my internship at a consultancy highlighted the need to research for a number of reasons. It enables the practitioner to be sufficiently informed regarding a client and their respective needs and also the target segments and extensive stakeholder groups. Without research, PR work may be ineffective as it can provide to be a tool that informs practitioners about platforms for communication to engage with audiences, and so on.
When it comes down to it, we cannot afford to omit false information into the public arena, which may result from a lack of adequate research.
Thanks for sharing your post, it definitely had me reflecting on my own experiences!
Carmen Parra
Post a Comment