Hi Everyone!
I am currently interning at Momentum Forum Events and am gaining a really strong insight into the world of Public Relations. All events companies are different as they raise awareness for different events. But what makes my internship at Momentum Forum Events so fulfilling is that majority of the events are for charitable causes!
Momentum Forum Events focuses on bringing awareness and support to worthy causes. These causes include "Kiss Violence Against Women Goodbye!" and creating awareness and support for mens mental health. The causes are something that my CEO (Barbra Mcnaught) really has a passion for and shares her beliefs and attitudes about these issues with all her interns so they too can understand what Momentum Forum Events strives to achieve.
Working at Momentum Forum Events has really pushed me to think outside the box. Charity events are a lot harder to attract attendees then other events in the public relations field. This is because you must educate and inform individuals about why these worthy causes are so important to attend and support. For the first few shifts of my internship I was required to research individuals that would want to attend the "Kiss violence against women Goodbye" Medaesthetics International Women's Day Luncheon. Together along with other interns at Momentum Forum Events I brainstormed and shared ideas as to who would be suitable candidates to invite to the luncheon.
Barbra specifically wanted us to target certain individuals to invite to the "Kiss Violence Against Women Goodbye" Medaesthetics International Women's Day Luncheon. She had secured the attendance of The Honourable Julie Bishop, MP, so I was the required to research her history in some news articles. I was able to find her previous education history, employment history and other education involvement. Researching this information then allowed me to draft an email with Barbra and send a personal invite to each of these educational institutions in hope they would RSVP to the coming event .
I found myself going over and over the list to find direct contacts to emails that had been previously contacted by other interns. You soon realise that after researching contacts, getting direct contact to them is a lot harder then you previously predicted! I then had to draft different emails to be sent with different media packages and sponsorship proposals to the contacts that were interested but needed more information. The structure of the contact list had been presented in an excel format that we could all access via google drive. It made it easier when sharing information as we can each work independently of each other!
Constantly researching and contacting new potential sponsors and calling them to follow up emails can become slightly tedious. You feel as though your effort is diminished when your not getting instant replies or rejection from contacts. However in saying that it was very important that I had spent a few shifts doing this. You realise how much effort goes into events behind the scenes at event preparation but even more so for charity events! You'r encouraging people to step up to the plate and go an extra mile in supporting charitable causes by spending money in attending. The pressure to deliver is also increased as you know if expectations aren't delivered it could tarnish your companies reputation and any future events that follow.
So far I have been really enjoying my internship at Momentum Forum Events, there has been slightly more desk work so far but it's really rewarding knowing that I am contributing to a company that is contributing back to the community!
Here's a picture of Dana Vulin a Woman that has been a victim of violence and is promoting Momentum Forum Events "Kiss Violence Against Women Goodbye" charity campaign for the Medaesthetics International Women's Day Luncheon.
This charity event by Momentum Forum Events is such a community uniting project and I cannot wait to share with you the outcome of the Medaesthetics International Women's Day Luncheon for 2015!
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://http://printernship-reflections2.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hi Mica,
I am currently also in the events industry doing my internship and after reading your blog post I think you are very lucky to be working in such a significant charity event that has been of huge controversy in the past few months. The charity events sounds great and along with all the sponsors and people you have attending I'm sure it will be a success! I know how tedious some of the work we do can be however isn't it really rewarding at the end of the day when you've successfully executed an amazing event! Keep up the good work, can't wait to read more from you and learn of all the events you guys are hosting.
Mel
Post a Comment