Hi everyone,
I thought it would be time for some updating. I have been working
a lot on redesigning the organisation’s main brochure. This blog will therefore
be about my experience while working on drafting and designing brochures.
Selvina, the Programme Coordinator, informed me a few weeks
ago that I would be working on redesigning a new brochure for the organisation.
I must admit, desktop publishing has become one of my favourite things about
public relations, and I was looking forward to designing this new brochure.
Considering that I had worked on a first brochure at the beginning of the
internship, I was now much more familiar with the application I was using.
Somehow, I was also more creative. It took about two separate days to provide
the first draft to the Programme Coordinator.
While designing brochures for Link To Life, I witnessed how
the approval procedure for public relations materials went. Generally, drafts
are sent first to the Programme Coordinator for verification and changes. Once
verified, the draft is sent to the President and the other board members for approval.
It is only when the President has approved the brochure that publication and
distribution can occur.
A lot of other formalities happen during the process of
designing brochures at Link To Life. For instance, as it is a not-for-profit
organisation, Link To Life sometimes requires people to sponsor the printing of
brochures. I had the opportunity to see how the interaction between the sponsor
and the organisation has been throughout the whole process. Sponsors tend to be
very demanding and have a lot of expectations: for example, during the
designing of the brochures, they have demanded changes in the wording of some
sentences, a bigger logo on the front page of the brochure, an additional logo
at the back...
I found it quite interesting to experience more about the
formalities of designing brochures, as well as the involvement of sponsors. Without
sponsors, a large part of the activities done at Link To Life would not be
possible. This accentuates how important external relations with the publics
is, and why organisation should devote more time in building relationships with
their key publics.
Stacey x
No comments:
Post a Comment