I found a really good quote this week about preparation from Alexander Graham Bell, who said, "Before anything else, preparation is the key to success." Prior to my internship, I would definitely have agreed with this statement, but after six days of interning at Devahasdin PR, I practice and preach it 100%!
It came to me today while I was working on another database that working on client accounts in a public relations consultancy is like a PR plan in itself - you have the overall goal which is to produce an amazing plan that gains as much media coverage as possible and impresses your client, and you have smaller measurable objectives to reach that goal, which are to produce databases, write media releases and contact journalists.
This week, in my second block of three days, it's been reiterated to me day in and day out that preparation in public relations is absolutely everything, and that includes doing your research, knowing the client and having a strong foundation when working on client accounts. Last week I put together a database for a client that I didn't know very much about nor did I know what Devahasdin was doing for that client, but regardless, I worked hard to produce a very thorough and detailed database. Fast forward a week, and my supervisor asked me to write an email pitch for that client, attach the media release to that pitch and get it sent out to all the relevant contacts in that database. That's when I had the lightbulb moment, that without the good foundation of the detailed database, we wouldn't be able to achieve our ultimate goal, which is to achieve the best and most amount of coverage, and make our client happy with our work. The database is only one step in the process of achieving a big overall goal, but I would argue that it's probably the most important step, because without that vital information, no coverage or public relations would be generated.
Having worked on this client account from the start, it's really exciting to see it progress from the ground up, having originated as an excel spreadsheet database and now moving on to actually contacting media and generating excitement about our client and what they have to offer. I can't wait to see how the campaign ends up, and can't wait to see the coverage it generates!
Besides that, I've had another great week at Devahasdin - it's surprisingly made me really excited to graduate and start working, as I'm really enjoying the work that I'm doing, and I love the people I work with. Each day I'm working on different clients which is good for me, as I get bored easily, and there's always something to do. Today I was working on a couple of media releases and pitches for various clients, stopped and changed to put coverage in our monthly clippings journal, then changed again to prepare and work on an event for another client, so it's really enjoyable and fast paced. I think now I want to find work in a consultancy upon graduation, as each day is as unpredictable, different and enjoyable as the last one, just have to go and find somewhere now that will hire me!
Until next week!
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://http://printernship-reflections2.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Tayla
I found myself nodding in agreement over your experience in creating a database for this specific client as I had to do similar things when creating a database during my internship. One of the things I was really surprised about was the lack of information provided to you to help with your set task despite the clear expectation of a lot of solid information in return. I found it was amazing just how little information or real direction clients would supply about who they were or even what they wanted exactly, it seems they just expected you to already know the information or be able to find it yourself or even to make it up!
I completely agree that this experience has made me want to get out into the workforce. I was initially critical of the nature of consultancy but once I had the experience of working in the field I realised how exciting it is to work on developing materials with new and different clients. Working in the PR industry is completely different to study and assignment writing (thankfully) and I feel that working in PR is definitely something I will enjoy in the long term.
Bella
Post a Comment