“Public relations is a strategic communication process that
builds mutually beneficial relationships between organisations and their
publics” (Yann, 2015).
Communication is the basis of PR and
it is vital for PR professionals to practise professional communication at all
times. During my internship I learnt the importance of this, to always be
polite yet assertive. PR professionals should always practise good etiquette, whether it be by
email, phone call or in person.
The majority of the tasks I completed
included the art of communication. Whether it was making follow up phone calls
or ringing companies to find contact details, it was vital that I positively
portrayed PPR and spoke with good etiquette, at times I was even given a
script to ensure this.
One of my major tasks during my
internship was to do a media pitch. This included ringing Coles team members
who were soon to be celebrating an important milestone such as they’re 50th
anniversary with Coles. I would call the store, and ask to speak with a
manager; it was essential to receive the store manager’s permission before
speaking to the team member. I would then introduce myself and explain that I
was calling on behalf of PPR, and that we are in charge of Cole’s corporate
affairs. I would then seek their permission for a brief interview over the
phone and ask their permission for the story to be run in the local paper and
if they would be comfortable having their photo taken.
It was really important to bring this
PR personality, and to make the interviewee feel comfortable. It is also very
important to make sure all the facts are right (fact verification) and names spelt correctly. People
would often refuse the interview, so it was important to practise polite
phone etiquette. After making the interviewee feel comfortable and making
them feel like it wasn't an interview, they often loosened up and began just to
chat with me, and that’s how I got the best responses and wrote an effective media pitch. See below for my media pitch!
Communication is everything, and it
is essential in PR. My internship at PPR taught me how to effectively
communicate with stakeholders and how to be polite, get key messages across and
practise etiquette all at the same time as well as the importance of fact
verification.
I found the above video to be a
funny, light-hearted video that shows how communication is the basis of PR.
That's all for now!
Greta x
That's all for now!
Greta x

3 comments:
Hi Greta
Wow, well done! This sounds like it would have been challenging.
Being cool, calm and collected on the phone when you're intimidated is quite a task. The first few times I called clients at my own placement organisation to request interviews made me incredibly nervous. I ended up writing a few phone scripts to read off of.
Professionalism is slippery. Just when you think you're comfortable enough to drop the professional manner a small bit, something happens to pull you up. I suppose it's all a learning experience - but it seems like professionalism is an ongoing lesson.
Anyway, thanks for the great read. It sounds like you had a fantastic internship.
- Elena
Hi Greta,
I hope you enjoyed your placement!
I found that i took on a similar perspective with no matter the tasking upholding that sense of communication proven to be vital to the organisation and getting your message across. It seems as though this would have been a demanding experience but I'm sure it would have been very informative.
Best wishes,
Tamika
Post a Comment