Thursday, November 3, 2016

My PR Toolkit

Throughout my experience at WAM I have gained numerous tools and valuable skills for my PR kit, that I will take with me throughout my career regardless of where I may end up. A few of these include:

  • Better time management between tasks
  • Successfully cross platforming
  • How to use: Mailchimp, Wordpress, Hootsuite, Canva and Be Funky
  • The importance of spreadsheets and keeping a compilation of contacts for future references
  • Editing skills
  • Some (but wish I gained more experience in this area), writing skills
  • Networking skills
  • Stakeholder engagement skills
I'm excited to carry these lessons into the real, real world, where I won't be shadowed as much, but rather left to my own devices, to be able to see how well I go. 

This experience made me realise that the Public Relations role, no matter how you define it, in every job, it is going to be slightly different. You are going to have to learn to be flexible and pick up skills quickly, ask questions and be assertive. It at times can be an extremely stressful industry, but it can also be a very rewarding one when you see the hard work you've put into, fruition. 

And that's exactly what I'm going to do during these next few days. I've been given the job to attend various WAMFest workshops and gigs to take pictures and splash messages across WAM social media platforms. Let's see how I shall we! One thing is for sure, It's going to be amazing to see how all our hard work at the WAM office has paid off!

Dharshini Murugiah
17648358
Curtin Bentley


3 comments:

Candace Sharpe said...

Hi Dharshini,

I love that you've put together your own PR toolkit, what a fantastic idea! It sounds like you've covered a lot of different areas during your Internship.
Best of luck in the future :)

Candace

Sophie Muthen said...

Hi Dharshini,

That's a really great idea that you had putting your own PR toolkit together, i find it really interesting and intelligent. I can relate to several of the skills that you mentioned in your toolkit as it resembles some of the skills that i have myself gained during my internship. I agree with you when you say that working in the Public Relations industry slightly vary from working in other fields, we often have to have a flexible planning, be available and have a lot of tact and finesse. This jobs requires a lot of particular skills that are not really required in other fields of work. This may seem quite intimidating at first but you eventually learn the skills that are required as a PR agent.
I hope that you had a great internship and wish you all the best for the future.

Cheers,

Sophie

Unknown said...

Hi Dharshini !
You really to enjoy your internship ! Congratulations for the news skills! I can totally relate to what you said with my interships : every situations is so differents, its like PR is not like a single job with specifics skills, its like basically, make everything seem more attractive in a way. So in order to sell your stuffs, you really have to know what you sells, who do you target, and how they want you to get them. So basically, every situation is unique, to the point of, i would say that, PR isnt a job, rather an attitude that have a aim : making the message the most desirable possible.

Wish you luck :)