Monday, April 28, 2008

Preparing kits to memberships/hospitals

Hello All,

Hope everyone had a great week off last week!

Today, my supervisor told me that she needs assistance in preparing General Practice Kits to some hospitals. In the previous years, we have sent these kits to these hospitals; however, the organisation went through re-branding by changing their logos and so forth. Therefore, we need to re-send and edit previous information that was sent to them.

To my surprise, it was like preparing media kits that was taught in PR 200 and 250. These kits that we prepared had everything for example; fact sheets, backgrounder, magazines from the organisation and so forth minus media releases of course!

I used to think that preparing media kits is an easy task, but I was wrong. It was quite a hectic task as we need to make sure everything is included in all the kits, nothing is left behind, make sure that all the information needed by the hospitals are included in the kit and counting how many of them before we sent them all out. Since my organisation is a not-for-profit organisation, we do not actually post them all out as it will cost a lot due to lamination, binding and stamp fees. We email the kits to the representative of the hospitals in order to save up some cost.

Was a good day at work I must say. Eight more days to go and am looking forward to learn more everyday.

cheers!

8 comments:

serenity` said...

working in a not-for-profit organisation must have a whole different culture from private sector. I reckon the information in the kits sure have been informative enough!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yes, Jean, you are right about preparing kits to be distributed to memberships/hospitals.

Some kits are prepared especially for their specific target audiences and demographics. Preparing them at the right spot isn't the easy thing I reckon.

Furthermore, making sure that their information are up-to-date and accurate for the re-branding thing aren't easy. And, counting them in numbers eat lots of time.

I remembered counting heaps and piles of fact sheets for the grand opening of the CHI Spa in three languages (English, Korean and Japanese) during my placement in Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort, a five-star resort back in my hometown. Counting required lots of time management, especially talking about meeting requirements of my colleague and work supervisor.

Hmm..... It is really interesting to see how the kits specially from non-profits are sent to organisations through emails. Unlike the one at my work placement, the kits are sent via both emails and paid express mails. The reason for doing this is that my work placement is a corporate organisation. Thus, my work placement main things to do are maintaining the image and name of my work placement's corporate name.

It is so interesting to see differences between corporates and non-profits. It would be interesting to see how the kits are done in other types of professional organisations.

Katharina Wolf said...

Thank you, Jean. You won’t believe how happy we are to hear that what we teach you at uni translate directly into the industry. Although the teaching team is very proud of our close industry relationships and active involvement with PRIA, we have to actively ensure that we stay on top of changes and new trends.

More and more organisations are now moving towards e-kits, - either to replace printed version or to simply supplement them. Have you added the kit to your website? Maybe you could post the link for other students to have a look at your fantastic work?

jean.h said...

Am I allowed to upload the e-kits? Is all saved under the companies folder.
Will, ask my supervisor on Monday whether am I allowed to do that as information that was on the e-kit was basically about the organisation.
Yup, it was great learning and implementing what i've learnt about PR. At least I was prepared and taught in classes and know what the expect before handling this without any knowledge at all.

jean.h said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katharina Wolf said...

As it is general background inforamtion about your placement organsiation I thought the eKits might be available via the website (for example under a media section, as many companies decide to do). If it is not freely available yet, please double check with your supervisor.

Kelly said...

Hi Jean,

I hoped that you've enjoyed your days working on the media kits. I would like to be working on media kits as we've done in PR 200 and PR 250. It puts forward your sense of creativity.
Yeps, It's not as easy as we think. I mean for our courses, the situation is fictituous but doing it at the workplace is more seroius and we must always double check, seek for approval before getting documents printed and kits as well.
PR is pleasant.

kel.