Friday, May 2, 2008

Half way through!

I am now ten days into my placement and learning a great deal. I have had the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, with a specific focus on community relations. This is an area that interests me alot and something I would like to pursue in the future.
The project I have been assisting with mainly is a youth forum to be held on May 8th which I am really looking forward to. The topic being discussed is the issue of graffiti vandalism and the differences between urban art and graffiti. I am quite excited by this whole project as I have had the opportunity to liase with many government members, as well as other youth focus groups. I have written my first media release which will hopefully gain coverage in local media. Stormie Mills, a very prominant Perth artist and someone I admire alot is working on this project with us so it has been great having the opportunity to meet him. I have booked caterers, organised venue options, had quotes made, created powerpoint displays for presentation, and communicated with media members to gain permission to replicate certain images. It has really opened my eyes to the logistics required behind every seemingly small movement or tactic.
I found working on the media release particularly interesting as, being a government institution there are many policies that must be followed. Not only that, all the groups involved want certain things to be mentioned in the article. I feel very fortunate to have undergone editing with someone who has worked as a journalist for over twenty years. His insite was inspiring. It is also somewhat surprising how everybody you speak to believes a media release needs to be written a different way. Intriguing!
I don't feel this is an industry I would necessarily want to work in but I feel I am gaining alot of valuable, hands on experience. The last few weeks I have been lucky enough to have alot of interviews and testing for graduate positions with some of the big Australian companies and experiences I have had here at the PTA have helped me prepare for these experiences.

1 comment:

Sandrine said...

Hi Sarah,

I think you are having a great work experience and I'm myself involved in community relations. As you said, you have the opportunity to meet important people and you have to take advantage of this.

You seem to be learning a lot from this placement and working in a government institution enables you to learn more things that maybe you would not have expected.

I myself found community relations very interesting because it makes you feel you are working for a social cause. You are not only learning professional PR skills but you are learning different skills at the same time. So, one thing I would like to tell you is 'Good Luck' and enjoy your internship.

Cheers,

Sandrine