Monday, May 12, 2008

The Photographer & The Editor

Hello everyone,

I'm back again for my second entry. As you all can see from my subject, I have been appointed, the photographer and the editor for the upcoming events in my organisation. This is really exciting for me, as I love photography and my other major is ofcourse film & tv. Recently a shipment of silent auction items, was delivered to the office, and I was given the job to "unpack the items from the boxes - photograph the items - repack it back into the boxes". The items was in various sizes as they were garden furnitures and ornaments.

After spending half a day doing that, I was on my laptop editing the photos and cataloging them. I find it easy to bring my own laptop as I have most of the softwares for photo editing. This task has given me the opportunity to show my supervisors my skills in photography and editing. This is the first year the organisation are doing photo catalogue for the silent auction items, as it is much easier than dealing with logistics of bringing the items to and from.



This is a photo of one of the items that I find cute.



A metal echidna and a mirror with rusty finish.


I'll be putting up more photos next time so stay tuned to the next photoshoot.


Regards,

Fareena R.

3 comments:

Connie said...

Cool, nice to see that your company allow you to be a photographer and editor. I'm don't think this is part of PR, but it is awesome to get a chance to try something new and fun (and relaxing). I got the chance to attend a few photoshoots (although I didn't do much there), but to me that was one of the most exciting activity in my placement.

Fareena Ramli said...

Hey Connie,

Well, this job is for the fundraising event that I'm working towards that will be held in start of june. Theres only my two supervisors that are handling this so as an intern I've been givin the minor things to do but I won't call it relaxing as I'm always occupied with jobs to do all the time.

It's an art exhibition cocktail fundraising event. Among the jobs that I have been involved in is with this task in cataloging silent aution items, artist profiles, galleries and delegating with donersm and prepare an event plan.

Technically this is apart of event management and it includes from preparation to post event works.

I hope your enjoying your internship so far.

Cheers,
Fareena

Katharina Wolf said...

You are right Fareena, quite often a role in public relations does not only involve the obvious PR jobs, but does require to think outside the square and to help our wherever you can. You will be surprised how many “event coordinators” ended up cleaning the venue and even the bathrooms before a successful event….Likewise, there are many PR professionals who are in charge of photography for various reasons.
Most organisations will hire a professional photographer for major events, functions and/or staff photos – and a good understanding of photography is very useful when you are in charge of liaising with the photographer. However, if you are working in a smaller organisation, it is more than common that PR might also include being in charge of taking photos on and for various occasions.
I have been on both sides – and have to say that being in charge of photography is a great opportunity to introduce yourself to people – particularly at functions where you might otherwise feel a little bit out of place.