Hi Everyone
Hi my name is Lauren and this is my very first post. I am nearing the end of my internship now and I am starting to reflect on all that I have learned.
I am undertaking my placement with the Department of Industry and Resources in Western Australia. I am entering my final semester of university and I am majoring in Politics and Public Relations and have very intention of working within government when I complete my studies. As such I was really excited when I was to be called in for an interview with the department and offered a placement.
I made the decision to use the my semester break to complete my placement for a couple of reasons. I wanted to complete the placement and then only have three units to finish in my final semester and I also felt that I would probably get more out of the placement if I could be there full time. I'm really happy with my decision, being there on a full time basis means that I have been able to get involved with a number of projects.
While I am really interested in working in government I was also a little hesitant as I have heard some real horror stories from people . I have often heard that government workers are a bit lazy and tied up in a ridiculously restrictive hierarchy. So far my fears have been unfounded. I have found everyone in the Communications and Marketing team to be very motivated and hard working. That said I am think it is the nature of people who work in comms and marketing to be enthusiastic and driven. Everyone has been so welcoming and really helpful but more than anything they have treated me like one of the team rather than a temporary outsider.
Well time is against me at the moment so I will write again soon about the type of work that I have done, the experiences I have had and some advice for people thinking about getting involved in government PR.
Cheers
Lauren K
2 comments:
Working in government has a sometimes exagerated perception of being uninteresting.
Funnily I feel that this is a perception that is generally felt about Governments regardless of which country you are in.
However, rest assured that the experience you will gather within that sector may be richer than you could expect.
Tremendous amounts of paper work but a comparable amount of experience there to be gained.
You will be dealing with loads of people and will be exposed to a range of issues. Some of them could be most uninteresting while other most thrilling.
I would be curious to learn about the types of issues you have had to deal with? Does it confirm what i stated above?
hey Lauren. Politics & PR? Interesting choice! :) Working with the government is indeed different than working with private firms. The pace can be real slow but honestly I feel interning here there's much to learn.
I really you really shouldn't worry about the "real horror" that you've heard from others. Sometimes people create it to give you the fear. If you listen you may either end up just being not motivated work. So I'd say this is a good time to learn and "observe" its good and the bad of what's happening around you. It may be of useful.
T.care
Post a Comment