Wednesday, July 30, 2008

It's Over Red Rover

Howdie all,

Like the title suggest, I finally completed my placement at ANZ, Perth Western Australia as a Events and Promotions Assistant. Yay for me!!!

At first it did feel very long, but towards the end it seemed like the three months I did it over was just a matter of three weeks. Nevertheless it is now done with but definately a good 21 days of experience and a great outlook to the future.

I really enjoyed the people I worked with and the other people in other departments on the same floor. It definately built my networking skills and found some more numbers to add to my contact list. Yay that's always a bonus.

On my final day there which was Wednesday 2nd July 2008 I was treated to a nice long snazzy lunch which a few individuals I had been working closely with and within a few hours later (not long enought time to digest), a yummy afternoon tea with the rest of the people who worked on the same floor.

Depsite it was only work experience, I work for ANZ in the retail area so I still keep in contact with some of the people I worked with, so I don't feel as thought that's it all my ties are now cut.

My supervisor who worked with me closely has been emailing me jobs she has seen on Seek, so it's nice to know that even though you don't work with them anymore, or they didn't take you on for a position, they're still in contact and keeping an eye out for you. It makes you feel a little loved.

Looking back on my time there, I did have to endure silly jobs like placing 300+ name badges in alphabetical order or run around in the wet rain transporting goods to and from events, it was all in the name of experience and work.

I did have more enticing duties as part of my role including writing newsletters, interviewing staff for the newsletter. Writing speeches for our Executive Manager of Western Australia (despite it was never used as the nature of the event changed) it was enjoyable and I learnt a lot. I even recieved a lot of feedback which was good.

The role I had was nice and relaxing which was thanks to the staff I worked with. Everyone was laid back but I understood that when it was stressful at times when deadlines were there they got a little cranky (which is very understandable) they were still great members to work with. They all had at least ten years experience up their sleeves so it was good to work with professional well respected team members of the organisation.

On my final day I was also presented with a small present, a book called "Speeches that changed the world". My two managers had seen how much I enjoyed writing speeches whilst I was there and thought it would be a knowledgable and inspirational book I could take away with me. I was very grateful!

So now if I need to write a speech and need some source of inspiration, I have it there.

Towards the end of my placement there wasn't many jobs for me to do so that was slightly boring but our whole office was almost jobless. Apparently it's like that, work comes in waves... sometimes they're so busy they stay back after hours for weeks on end, other times they have nothing to do.

There were even days when our Executive Manager was away from the office so I scored his room for a day. Great views over looking the Swan River and areas south of the river. I even had ice cream served to me in the afternoons by his Executive Assistant. That was definately a highlight of the whole placement!

All in all though, it was a very enjoyable placement, I definately learnt a lot in terms of my practice in writing, communication, planning, time management and all those significant skills that came with the role.

The feedback I got was very good with the experience as as the job not only allowed me to take charge and take responsibility of the duties that had to undertake, I knew that before I sent anything out or had any questions I was able to ask someone more experienced and more knowledgable to help me and edit or just read over.

The same as when I provided feedback to them and the organisation after each event, it made me feel that my opinion or thoughts were as valued as I value theirs.

Although it is now over and I didn't get a job from the work experience I now know what to expect in that particular role. Yet different organisations and different environments will perhaps change the role a little that's o.k. It's all about adapting isn't.

I was able to go back to my normal job with no views and no ice cream, it didn't take much adapting... oh well it will be my form of motivation to aspire to a role that comes with those perks in the future (near, i hope!)

I definately hope to score a job in the corporate sector specialising in community relations (fingers crossed) and use all the skills that I possess and have learnt from the work experience into the role I get. Then again if I don't get that particular role I aspire it's not the end of the world is it?

I'm not going to be narrow minded and even if i just take what I get given, they say beggers can't be choosers!!! Hopefully in time I'll get into the role that I hoped to.

So long for now and see you out there in the working world!

Cheers to that!

Lannie xxx

No comments: