Thursday, July 24, 2008

More than I expected

Hi everyone,

It's Lauren again, I have a new found love of blogging. This is a short little post and I would love some feedback about other people's expectations and experiences. I was just wondering what everyone went into there placement expecting responsibility and work wise.

I don't really know what I was expecting, nothing as bad as on TV where interns spend all their time making coffee and photocopying documents, but definitely not what I got. I was really pleasantly surprised by how much trust was placed in me by my employers and the level of responsibility that I have taken on. I have written advertisements that have appeared in the West Australian, the Australian and the Australian Financial Review. I have written articles for one of the department's publications and when you access the Department of Industry and Resources website I wrote the majority of stories on there as well. I am really quite amazed but I also really appreciate their trust as it has given me the opportunity to test my writing skills and gain greater confidence in my abilities.

I would love to hear if anyone has feedback about this. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

cheers
Lauren K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi lauren,

im sure none of us have gone into our internship thinking that our job scope would merely involve makin coffee and just photocopying documents. To be honest, i wasn't expecting that much at the start due to the fact its only 20 workin days. However, to date i have been assigned several challenging tasks. I guess thats where what you learn in uni best comes into practise. I have come to realize that research is paramount to gaining a better understanding of your work. anyway im glad to hear you are enjoying your time and gaining confidence each day.

Cheers