Hi everyone
Today is the second last day of my placement with the Department of Industry and Resources. It has passed by so quickly and on Monday its straight back to uni. I have really enjoyed my placement and as cheesy as it may sound it has really reinvigorated my interest in PR. I think maybe after four years of sitting in a classroom you lose sight of where your headed or why you even started out in the first place. Also being so close to the end of my degree I had started to worry about the transition from uni to full time work. I feel doing this placement has given me a bit of a head start and I am a lot more confident now about my abilities.
It hasn't all been smooth sailing. I find that working in comms and marketing is a sometimes frustrating task. I am so used to working to deadlines and working quickly and its often hard communicate this mentality to other divisions within the department. They don't understand that you must respond to media enquiries quickly, that publication and website articles have deadlines etc. I think a lot of people are used to plodding along and don't understand the immediacy of certain situations. I don't necessarily think that this is a problem confined to government, its probably a problem you run into practising corporate PR for a lot of companies.
Apart from that short rant I have thoroughly enjoyed myself, so much so that I will be applying for the department's graduate program. Anyway I best be off but I will sign in again on the weekend to reflect on all the work that I have undertaken during my placement. Hope everyone is having fun and enjoying 393.
cheers
Lauren K
1 comment:
Hello Lauren,
I totally agree with what you said about working quickly and trying to meet deadlines. In my company they are planning an event for september and they seem not to be very stressed about that; for example they have put the website online but only in french they are not at all stressed about including it in english, the thing is that in mauritius we speak both languages. There are so many tiny things that are for me quite important when planning an event that are not at the top of they planning program.
I guess that every task has its own degree of importance. Sometimes what you learn at Uni is not always applicable in the corporate world. We learn all the theoric things and the corporate world is very different from that.
I think that we are going to learn much more when we are going to start working.
Anyway wish you good luck
Cheers
Delphine Richard
CTI Mauritius
Post a Comment